Monday, October 15, 2012

Treat of the Week: Banana Bread Trifle Surprise




I’ve seen my mother create the most elegant of meals in the worst conditions. Many of you may recall a little over a year ago when my mother and father were redoing there house. Essentially, the whole place was torn apart. For awhile, even, there was no functioning kitchen. And, yet, my mother still managed to whip up brilliant meals and “Treats of the Week.”

However, every so often, even a genius has a mistake. This past weekend, as workmen were once again traipsing through my mother’s house, she was making banana bread. The thought was, “banana bread is easy, and, with this chaos, it’ll be no problem.” But, sometimes, something that’s supposed to be easy, just isn’t.

When the breads were taken from their pans, the sides crumbled off. It happens to even the best. 



However, as my mother says, “When life ruins your banana bread, you make trifle.” And, little sandwiches, too (and, you all know how much I love little sandwiches). 



So, after a lovely meal of whole wheat pasta with white beans and leeks in a creamy sauce, a carrot salad (with raisins and celery) and some nice, crusty bread, we were presented with this monumental trifle. 





My mother took the “ruined” bread and, after making some sandwiches filled with plain and strawberry cream cheese from a portion of it, cut up the remainder to assemble this gorgeous trifle. 








Whipped cream, banana pudding, bananas, raspberries, HUGE blackberries and a coulis of currants and strawberries meld together to create a veritable ballet of flavor. The whole of it is adorned with piped whipped cream, berries and pecans.

It’s it grand? If only my mistakes turned out to have such beautiful results!



13 comments:

Kathy said...

I should have such mistakes. So pretty!

Carolyn said...

My kitchen accidents never look like magazine covers. I don't know how your mother does it.

Matt said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Last mistake I made in the kitchen set off the smoke alarm. This is perfection.

Gene said...

Your mom should break up more banana bread. She uses it to her advantage. What an impressive dessert. The dinner looks very good too.

Book Gurl said...

I can't believe how gorgeous that is. Some mistake!

Shawn said...

Your mom is mom is amazing! How lovely everything looks! I agree with Matt...I can't even use the toaster without setting off alarms and making a complete mess. :)

Barb said...

I would take that whole bowl and a serving spoon and finish the whole thing.

Marsha said...

That's so beautiful. I bet its yummy.,

Angelo said...

So good!!!

Bonnie said...

What a good save!

Doug said...

I think I just drooled on my keyboard.

Mark said...

I would love this trifle.

Beth Ann said...

This makes me want to break up a banana bread.