Saturday, October 20, 2012

Object of the Day: The Sterling Piano

Click image to make your face crooked.





THE 
STERLING 
PIANO 

Makes your lips go off center. 

Makes you wear odd hats. 

Shortens your car. 

Gives you a doppelganger dressed as the opposite gender. 



These are just a few of the things which this trade card for “The Sterling Piano” seems to suggest to me.

However, I don’t think that’s the point. When I saw this one for the first time, I chuckled because in the lithography, somehow, the red ink became misaligned. Pure red is only used in two little spots and the fact that it’s askew gives both figures a slightly goofy expression which I’m sure wasn’t intended.

Let’s see what the reverse says: 


-----THE----- 
STERLING 


T H E 
IDEAL 
HOME 
PIANO 



THE STERLING CO. 
DERBY – CONN. 



And, if you look closely, there’s still the very, very faint remains of a retailer’s stamp:

HANCOCK’S (unreadable) 
OSWEGO, N.Y.


2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Well, shut my MOUTHS!

That's the finest late 18th Century FlowerMobile that I've ever seen!! Commissioned by Louis XV himself!

And they're dressed in the mauve and dusty blue that would later plaster itself all over America in the 1990's.

Fine. Or I'd that thing an autopiano.?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Good points about the colors. It may be an auto-piano. The can play it all the way to the craniofacial doctor.