Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 69

Cecil hurried through the corridor and down the back staircase. “Adrienne!” He shouted.


“I’m here, darling.” Adrienne answered. “In the front parlor.”

Cecil choked on his words, “Thank God.”

He rushed to the parlor to find Adrienne seated at the piano with Fuller on her lap. The baby poked at the keys and shrieked with delight.

“Master Fuller was feeling a trifle fussy.” Adrienne smiled. “You know how he loves the piano. I thought I’d bring him down here to distract him.” She studied her husband. “Whatever is the matter? You’re shaking.”

“I went to the nursery and you weren’t there. I saw that blasted feather and thought…”

“Oh, darling, come here.” Adrienne smiled. “I’m so sorry. I had left it in there when we checked on the baby with Robert and Mr. Punch. I’ve been meaning to discard it. I’m terribly sorry you were worried.”

Tears welled up in Cecil’s eyes. “If anything had happened…”

“Nothing will happen.” Adrienne said brightly. “We’re all safe. Chidi and the other men are taking their turn guarding the property. We’ll be quite safe.”

Cecil sat on the piano bench next to his wife and child. “I hope so.” He patted his wife’s leg, and then caressed his son’s fuzzy head.

“Would that every child in Marionneaux were as safe.” Adrienne frowned.

“You’re thinking about the Cage child—Holt?”

“Yes,” She nodded. “Corliss Cage was not expecting a child. I saw her not three weeks ago at the charity bazaar and she showed no sign of being with child. In fact, she looked thinner than usual. Cecil, they bought that baby.”

“I’m sure they did. But these things happen.” Cecil sighed.

“Did Edward mention anything to you about a new child in the house?”

“No.” Cecil shook his head. “However, Edward never speaks of the family. All we discuss is the waxworks and schedules. The last time I saw him, the only thing on his mind was the New Year’s Eve Ball in New Orleans at the Museé. I did notice that vicious little brat of his, Orman, playing with a little girl that I’d not seen before. I asked him who she was and he muttered something about it being his niece, Edolie. Orman seemed to be torturing the girl, she was screaming so.”

“He is a terror.” Adrienne sighed. “That’s no place for a baby.”

“As I said, my dear, these things happen.” Cecil said softly.

“I heard you,” Adrienne shook her head. “But, they don’t have to happen.”

“Haven’t we enough of our own about which to worry without getting involved in the Cages’ business?”

“Isn’t it our business? If that child is Lord Fallbridge’s nephew, isn’t it our business? The child has Molliner blood running through his veins. No matter who his father is, and frankly, no matter who is mother is, that child deserves to be in a safe and loving home.”

“Where?” Cecil asked. “With Lord Fallbridge? And Mr. Punch?”

“Why not?” Adrienne answered. “You see how Mr. Punch is with Fuller. He’s a kind and loving soul despite his baser instincts and Lord Julian is a lovely man. Why not let him take care of his sister’s child? Furthermore, there’s always your brother. You don’t think that Robert is going to just give up on Julian when they do return to England. They have some kind of bond. Together, they could provide a fitting home for Holt. It would be a sight better than leaving the babe with the Cages.”

“Edward Cage is one of the wealthiest men in Louisiana. He could provide a good home to the child.”

“If we’re basing good parenting on money, explain to me why Orman is such a beast. Explain to me why Ulrika Rittenhouse is so unpleasant. Besides, Lord Fallbridge is wealthier than both the Rittenhouses and the Cages combined.”

“So you’re suggesting that the child should be removed and given to Lord Julian—to do what with exactly? To take him to England where he and Robert will raise the child in the English countryside?”

“I see no reason why not.” Adrienne said firmly. “Cecil, you’ve told me about the upbringing you and Robert suffered after your mother passed away. Would you want any child to endure what the two of you had to endure?”

“It’s not the same, my dear.” Cecil sighed.

“And, it’s not different, either.” Adrienne replied gently.

“What you’re suggesting is abduction.” Cecil shook his head.

“What I’m suggesting is returning a child to his family.” Adrienne grinned.

Meanwhile, Mr. Punch slept fitfully in front of the fire in Robert’s borrowed room at the Rittenhouse Mansion. His mind—if you could consider him to have a mind of his own—raced with horrifying pictures. He dreamt of long fingers scratching his body and tearing it to sheds. However, the body being torn and shredded wasn’t his body of cloth, it was Julian’s body.

Punch groaned and awoke with a start, bolting upright.

He was startled to find a pair of green eyes staring at him. He leaned back on Julian’s elbows. A wide-shouldered woman sat on the floor next to him.

“You’re some kind of royalty, aren’t you?” Ulrika Rittenhouse said deeply. “What are you doing sleeping on the floor?”

“Here!” Mr. Punch growled. “You got no place in here. This is a room for gentlemen.”

“I like gentlemen. Besides, this is my house and I can go wherever I want.” Ulrika grinned.

“Ain’t right.” Mr. Punch muttered. “Sneakin’ up on a person. Watchin’ him sleep.”

“You don’t talk like a Lord. It’s as if you’re a different man than the one I saw in here earlier.” Ulrika laughed. “How interesting. You look the same. You’re very nice looking, you know.”

“How I look ain’t got nothin’ to do with me, it don’t.” Mr. Punch growled again. “Me—I’m quite ugly. It’s just this one,” he patted Julian’s chest, “has got a pleasant face.”

“Most pleasant, really.” Ulrika cooed.

“Don’t like you.” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“Really, how do you know? We’ve only just met.” Ulrika shook her head so that her auburn hair danced around her shoulders. “Mother says you’re a lunatic. Is that true?”

“Dunno.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “Probably.”

“How exciting.” Ulrika smiled.

“Tell me, Lord Fallbridge, is there a Lady Fallbridge?” Ulrika asked.

“Yep.” Mr. Punch nodded Julian’s head. “And, she’s closer than you might think, she is.”

“Oh, you have a wife.” Ulrika pouted exaggeratedly.

“Huh?” Punch grunted. “No. Got no wife. My kind don’t do so well with wives. Always end up getting hit on the head and dyin.’ Never had one me-self, mind. But, I got kin what do. We’re all the same when we’re in our right bodies. Only I’m not like the others, I ‘spose. That’s why I ain’t got a Judy. That would be a right kerfuffle.”

“I have no idea what you’re saying.” Ulrika squealed excitedly. “But, I do love it, really.”

“Here,” Mr. Punch squinted. “Don’t like you. You need to go now.”

“Why?” Ulrika smiled.

“Cuz, for one, me chum is sick and he’s tryin’ to sleep.” Mr. Punch pointed to Robert. “And for second, as I already told you, I don’t like you.”

“You should have a wife, Lord Fallbridge.” Ulrika leaned forward.

“What for?” Mr. Punch grunted.

“Don’t you know?” Ulrika giggled.

“Don’t really care.” Mr. Punch shrugged.

“To take care of you,” Ulrika winked.

“Huh?” Punch grunted again. “Listen, don’t need takin’ care of. And, if I did, I got me chum.”

“Ah.” Ulrika frowned.

“Also got Naasir what helps me with me clothes and brings me vittles and got Adrienne what smells nice and smiles and Cecil what makes heads and such. And the baby—Fuller. Don’t do much, but he will do soon. Oh, and there’s the nice lady what’s a nurse--like. She taught me how to pray, she did. Got lots a people what care ‘bout me.” Punch continued.

“You are a lunatic.” Ulrika grinned. “I do hope we’ll be friends.”

“Don’t think so.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“Oh, and I waited all night for your man to leave his post so I could sneak in here and visit with you.”

“Kinda dumb, then, wasn’t it?” Mr. Punch smiled. “Go ‘way, now.”

“Oh, yes, I do like you, Lord Fallbridge.” Ulrika said, getting to her feet. “We’ll visit again tomorrow.”

“Not likely.” Mr. Punch called out to her as she left the room.

“Coo.” Punch sighed, getting up and locking the door. “Ain’t right.”

He walked over to Robert’s bed and leaned over the sleeping man. Very gently, he touched Robert’s forehead. “Still hot, he is.” He put a damp flannel on Robert’s head as he had seen Marjani do.

Mr. Punch sat on the bed at Robert’s feet and leaned against the wall. He put his hands on Robert’s feet and counted his toes. He squinted. “Got ten a these.” He thought very hard for a moment. “’Spose I got ten, too. Huh.”

Robert squirmed a bit.

“Sorry.” Mr. Punch said, removing his hand. “Only yer feet are cold. Hot head, cold feet. Bodies are a lot of mess.” He covered Robert’s feet with the quilt, and pulled a portion of it over himself.

“Gotta get well, Chum.” Mr. Punch whispered. “We gotta get out of this house.”

Once again in her own room, Ulrika Rittenhouse giggled ferociously. “Your brother is insane.”

Barbara Allen squinted. “Keep your voice down, you don’t want your mother to hear you. Remember, what I’ve told you is a secret.”

“Really, Barbara, I can keep a secret.” Ulrika frowned. “I’d have found out anyway. I knew the moment I saw you that you weren’t just a common maid. I can always tell when someone is well-bred. I’ll keep my promise. If you’ll keep yours…”

“We’ll keep ours,” Barbara grinned. “My beloved is on his way presently.”


Did you miss Chapters 1-68?  If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Darcy said...

So Ulrika is in league with Lady Barbara. This means she can't be trusted. Mr. Punch is getting to be a good judge of character. I agree with Mr. Punch, I don't like her either.

Avid Reader said...

This just gets better and better. I have read since the start. I love Mr. Punch.

Dashwood said...

Mr. Punch has got some better people instincts than most people. He can sort out the good from the bad pretty quickly. Well, Ulrika seems a sturdy lass and likely to be add to the drama.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Darcy. That's right. Barbara has gotten Ulrika in her web. Or, perhaps it's the other way around. Those Rittenhouses are always trouble.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Avid Reader!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Dashwood. "Sturdy lass." That's pretty funny. She IS a sturdy lass.