Monday, October 1, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 153



Chapter 153:
Nothing There 


Mr. Punch opened the door which separated the nursery from his bedchamber. In his hand, he still gripped the handle of the bed-warmer, now slightly bloody. Upon seeing Speaight on the floor of the room and Finlay’s maniacal grin, Punch let out a low, guttural moan.

“Where’s my sister?” Finlay barked. “Or…should I say, our sister.”

“Dead on the nursery floor.” Punch sighed.

“What?” Robert jumped up.

“Can someone please move her?” Punch asked softly. “I don't want Colin to have such pain in his nursery.  Such a bad spirit."


"Colin's safe in here,"  Robert replied.

"Still,"  Punch replied softly.  "All his little things is in there.  Oh, and the quilt he loves so.  I don't want anything me boy loves exposed to that awfulness...that wickedness."

“I’ll fetch Master Colin's quilt, Sir.” Gamilla hurried toward the nursery.

“Thank you.” Punch nodded. He gestured with his free hand between Finlay and Speaight. “What’s all this?”

“You…you murdered Ellen?” Finlay wailed.

“Nah.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “Not murder. That ain’t right. But, see, Finlay, that didn’t answer me question.”

“You’re mad!” Finlay spat.

“Says you.” Mr. Punch frowned. “I’ll ask again, what’s all this, then?”

Ethel spoke up. “Finaly’s poisoned Mr. Speaight. And, he done somethin’ to Vi and Charles.”

“Is this so?” Punch turned, his eyes glinting with anger. “You done these things?”

“Perhaps.” Finlay groaned. “Oh, poor, poor Ellen.”

Gamilla hurried in with the baby's quilt in her arms.  She gently placed it into the cradle with the child.

“Is she…” Robert whispered to Gamilla as she passed. “Is she dead?”

“Looks like it, Sir.” Gamilla replied quietly.

Robert shut his eyes.

“Finlay,” Punch continued. “Did ya poison Speaight?”

“Yes.” Finlay snorted.

“He says he’s got somethin’ what can save ‘im.” Mrs. Pepper shouted.

“This so?” Punch asked.

“You’ll never get it from me, Murderer.”

“Pot, kettle, and so on.” Punch shrugged again. “You got in on ya?”

“Yes.” Finlay stepped backward.

“I see.” Punch muttered. He acted as if he was going to set the bed-warmer on the floor. Instead, however, he swiftly raised it over his head and struck Finlay across his cranium—knocking the man to the floor.

“Colin,” Punch looked up at the child in Gamilla’s arms. “You just forget you seen that. Ain’t somethin’ you should do.”

“Cor!” Ethel chirped.

“Georgie.” Punch called. “Go search his pockets and get whatever it is he’s got in there.”

“Yes, Sir.” Finlay hurried to the limp body of the footman. He quickly looked through Finlay’s pocket. “Here!” Georgie produced a bottle with a label on it. “What’s it say, Doctor?”

Robert rushed to Georgie and took the glass bottle.

“Will it help?” Jenny asked from across the room.

“I think so.” Robert nodded, studying the bottle. “I need someone to…”

“I’ll help, Sir.” Mrs. Pepper said. She rose and went to Speaight’s side and assisted the doctor in opening the man’s lips and pouring the warm, amber liquid down his throat. He began to sputter.

Mr. Punch sniffed and walked across the room, dropping the bed-warmer as he went. He found Dog Toby seated by the bed, picked up the terrier and, crouching down, scrambled beneath the writing desk where he curled up with the dog.

“I think he’ll be all right,” Robert announced.

“I’ll stay by his side,” Mrs. Pepper volunteered. “You go His Grace, Sir.”

“Thank you.” Robert said.

“That were somethin’ what His Grace done. Knocked that bloke right out, he did.”

“He ain’t dead.” George Pepper said nervously.

“Oh!” Ethel cooed. “We should tie him up, then.”

“Good thinkin’, Girl.” Mrs. Pepper nodded.

“What’ll I use?” Ethel asked eagerly.

“What ‘bout them ropes on the drapery?” Jenny asked.

“Smart.” Ethel smiled, running to the windows and ripping down the braids and tassels from the drapes. “Too bad Finlay ain’t dead, right.”

“This way, he can tell us what he’s done with Vi and Charlie.” Mrs. Pepper shook her head.

They continued to chatter as Ethel and Jenny bound Finlay’s feet and hands. They tried not to look as Dr. Halifax approached the Duke under the table.

“I ain’t bad, Chum.” Mr. Punch mumbled. “I’m a good boy, I am. A good boy. Folk think what I jus’ done is bad, but it ain’t. See—they was gonna…”

“I don’t think you’re bad.” Robert whispered, sitting on the floor beside his companion. “I think you’re very brave and wonderful.”

“I killed me own sister.”

“You were protecting your child and your family.” Robert replied.

“Yes, yes, I was.” Mr. Punch answered. “I’m tired, Chum. Why am I so tired?”

“You’ve just had an ordeal.”

“Had?” Punch sighed. “It ain’t over yet, Chum.”

“I know.” Robert answered.

“Will ya do somethin’?” Punch asked. “For me?”

“Anything, my dear.”

“Go with Georgie and get that woman outta the nursery?”

“Of course.” Robert said. “However, I don’t like leaving you and the others in here with Finlay.”

“He’s tied up. And besides, I hit ‘im hard ‘nough that he’ll be out for awhile.”

“Still…” Robert began.

“Only we can’t keep that woman in the nursery. Just can’t.”

“Very well.” Robert nodded. “We’ll bring her to her room. We won’t be long.”

Robert rose and whispered something to Georgie who followed the doctor into the nursery.

From beneath the table, Punch looked at Gamilla. “I know you liked her. That’s the one thing I’m sorry for.”

“I’m glad ya done it, Your Grace.” Gamilla smiled.

“Hmm…” Punch muttered. Before he could say another word, Robert and Georgie returned to the Duke’s chamber.

Punch narrowed his eyes. “Somethin’s wrong.”

“She’s gone, Dear Punch.” Robert rasped. “There’s nothing there but a pool of blood.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-152? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 153.



2 comments:

Matt said...

Good! Finlay got it too!

Joseph Crisalli said...

He had it comin'.