Friday, November 19, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 101

Marjani put her hands on Iolanthe Evangeline’s shoulders. Iolanthe winced as Marjani touched her still-raw wound.


“Unhand me!” Iolanthe spat.

“You gotta get outta here.” Marjani said.

“Don’t you realize that you’re sending me out to my death?” Iolanthe hissed.

“Ain’t nothin’ but death in here for ya.” Marjani shook her head. “Now, listen to me, woman. I don’t care what happens to ya. This whole place is filled with the seeds of the Yellow Jack. I don’t care whether you let them seeds into your body to take root and make you suffer like my babies done suffer, or if them angry men out there shoot you full of holes. But, I ain’t gonna let you stay in here with my family and leave them open to the evil that surrounds ya!”

“You know that I could destroy you.” Iolanthe whispered.

“I’m not scared of you.” Marjani said. “I done looked death square in the eyes many a time. You ain’t got nothin’ on the power of the world that’s all ‘round us. You’re nothin’ to me, woman. You ain’t no force that I gotta concern myself with.”

Iolanthe grinned. “I see.”

“Why you smilin’ at me?” Marjani asked.

“I think you’re a fool, but I respect you for it.” Iolanthe winked. “I’ll leave you with your family.”

“Good.” Marjani said.

Iolanthe looked over her shoulder to the two poor souls that suffered on that cot.

“I hope they die.” Iolanthe smiled. “Soon. For their own sake.”

“Get out.” Marjani growled.

Iolanthe left the shack.

Marjani fell to her knees in front of the door and sobbed. “Ain’t we suffered enough, Holy Mother? Why you gotta send us test after test? I ain’t got no answers left. I’m doin’ all I can!”

Marjani rose and went to her chair behind which she had tucked away the gifts that Naasir had brought. She found the bag of gris-gris and squeezed it in her hands. “I do these things in your name,” She said aloud. “I do these things not to go against, you, Lady Mother, but to make your power greater! Don’t punish me now.”

Meanwhile, outside, Iolanthe Evangeline made her way to the rambling plantation house of Manuel Fontanals. She crept onto the front porch and gently rapped on the French windows which opened into the front parlor. She could see Mr. Fontanals sitting in front of the fire, smoking his pipe.

Mr. Fontanals heard the tapping and came to the window, opening it.

“I’ll be.” Mr. Fontanals smiled. “If it isn’t Miss Evangeline come to answer my Christmas prayers.”

“I’ll do more than that if you let me in.” Iolanthe cooed seductively.

Mr. Fontanals offered Iolanthe his hand.

“Come right in,” He smiled.

At that very moment, Adrienne assisted the servants in putting her drawing room back together.

“We’ll need a new rug.” Adrienne muttered nervously, rubbing her slipper across the burn marks.

“Easily gotten,” Robert said.

“I could send a letter to a wonderful rug-maker I know in London.” Julian suggested. “He could create something beautiful in any colors you’d like.”

“Thank you, Your Lordship.” Adrienne said blankly.

“By now, Adrienne,” Julian smiled, “You know you can call me ‘Julian.’”

“Yes, of course.” Adrienne shuffled about. She glanced around the room. “Some broken glass and china, but aside from the burnt rug, there’s no real damage.” She clasped her hands in front of her chest. “Would that I could say the same about Cecil. Why doesn’t he come back?”

“He’s got the strongest men from the staff with him.” Robert said soothingly. “I’m sure he’s quite fine.”

“You Englishmen!” Adrienne grumbled. “Always so stoic!”

“We have to be,” Robert said.

“We’re not all so level-headed,” Julian smiled, lifting up his figure of Mr. Punch. “Some of us have rather unusual ways of coping.”

Adrienne chuckled despite herself. “True, Julian, but you’re exceptional.”

Julian blushed.

“I must go check on Fuller.” Adrienne said anxiously. “Excuse me.”

“Of course,” Robert stood as Adrienne skittered out of the room.

As Robert sat down, he glanced at Julian who seemed lost in thought.

“You’re not in pain, are you?” Robert asked.

“No, no.” Julian shook his head.

“He’s talking to you, isn’t he?” Robert smiled.

“Yes.” Julian nodded. “I suppose he always has. I’ve tried so hard to ignore him for all of these years. I figured I was simply mad—or perhaps everyone heard another voice in their head. I didn’t know. I should have listened to him. He’s got quite a lot to say.”

“Mr. Punch has been very good to you for many years.” Robert said softly. “He protects you.”

“I know.” Julian sighed. “I’ve not done a very good job of protecting him.”

“That’s why you have me.” Robert responded.

“Is it?” Julian squinted.

“In part. I must say, however, Mr. Punch does quite well on his own. He’s proven to be quite brave and sensible.”

“More so than I.” Julian answered quietly.

“Is that true?” Robert asked. “Aren’t you both parts of the same whole? The qualities that Mr. Punch displays are your own qualities, just interpreted in a different way. He exists because of you, he reacts from the drive within your own body. He was born in you, not the other way around.”

“I’d never thought of it that way.” Julian said thoughtfully. “He’s impatient. You should hear him chattering away in there…in here. It’s hard to describe.”

“He likes being out with people.” Robert said.

“Isn’t it strange?” Julian shrugged. “He likes it, and I don’t.” He looked up at Robert. “Please, don’t mistake me. I’m happy to be here with you. It’s just…”

“I understand.” Robert smiled.

Julian looked down and noticed his stickpin—the oak leaf with the glittering diamond. “I don’t recall…”

“That was my Christmas gift to you…” Robert said. “I’m sure Mr. Punch will tell you all about it.”

“Ah.” Julian drew in a deep breath. “Thank you.” His shoulders sagged. “Yet, I have nothing for you.”

“Mr. Punch gave me a lovely pen on behalf of both of you.” Robert grinned. “And, Julian, truthfully, the only gift I wanted this Christmas was for you to…” Robert stumbled over his words.

“Make an appearance?” Julian suggested.

“Yes.” Robert said.

The front door burst open and they heard Cecil shouting. “Go ’round back and guard the house.”

Cecil stomped into the front hall and cursed loudly.

Adrienne came running through the corridor.

“She got away, my angel. She got away.” Cecil moaned.

“I don’t care.” Adrienne said, throwing her arms around her husband. “I only care that you’re back!”

“Tomorrow morning,” Cecil said, after squeezing his wife. “We’re closing up the house.”

“We are?” Adrienne asked.

“Yes.” Cecil said firmly. “We’re going to New Orleans.”

“So soon?” Robert said. “You don’t need to be there until two days before the ball to set you the figures.”

“We’re going tomorrow! All of us.” Cecil said loudly. “Pack your things.”

“Where will we stay?” Adrienne asked.

“We’ll decide that when we arrive.” Cecil muttered.

“We can stay at Dr. Biamenti’s house on Royal.” Robert said. “I’ve got use of it all season. That’s where Julian and I stayed when we first arrived. Meridian, the housekeeper, will look after us.”

“Why must we go so soon?” Adrienne asked.

“Because I’m going to get that serpent—that ogress—in her own nest!” Cecil said firmly.

“Here!” Mr. Punch shouted.

Robert let his head sag, knowing his brief reunion with Julian was over, but somehow glad to hear Mr. Punch again, too.

“We’re goin’ to New Orleans! That’s the way to do it!” Mr. Punch whooped.



Did you miss Chapters 1-100? If so, you can read them here. You can also read a summary of the first one hundred chapters here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Off to New Orleans!Seems Mr Punch is ready to fight the devil.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, indeed, he's ready! This time, he's got help, too!