Thursday, November 18, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 100

Iolanthe walked slowly toward the cot where Nontle and Gilbert lay sputtering. She quietly took the pillow from behind Nontle’s head and whispered. “You be quiet, now. It’s all gonna be peaceful for you real soon.”


She raised the pillow and placed it firmly over Nontle’s face. The woman squirmed.

Marjani snorted, waking quickly.

“What are you doin’?” Marjani screamed, jumping from her chair and staggering toward Iolanthe.

The ogress took the pillow from the young woman’s face. With tears in her eyes, she said softly, “Puttin’ her out of her misery.”

“Ain’t your place to do that!” Marjani grabbed the pillow from Miss Iolanthe’s hand. “What gives you the right?”

Tears trickled down Iolanthe’s face. “My son. My own son is…” She wiped her face. “I know what it means to have a child who is ill. My own son has said those words to me, ‘Help me.’ I couldn’t help him. I can’t help him. But, I thought I could help these two poor souls.”

“What do you care ‘bout folks’ souls?” Marjani barked. “I know who you are!”

“I’m sure that you do.” Iolanthe stiffened.

“Nobody’s takin’ my babies. Nobody but the Holy Mother herself. And, you ain’t the Holy Mother! This ain’t their time, woman. No. This ain’t their time for to go!”

“I only wanted to help.” Iolanthe said firmly.

“No one wants your kind of help. Now, get out of here!” Marjani spat.

“I can’t.” Iolanthe shook her head. “I must stay—just for awhile longer.”

“Why?” Marjani growled.

“I’m in danger.” Iolanthe responded plainly.

“You’re in danger if you stay here.” Marjani narrowed her eyes in the dim light of the shack.

“I’m not a woman who begs and I don’t want you thinkin’ that I am. But, you gotta let me stay in here awhile longer. You do me a good turn and I’ll do one for you.”

At that very moment, Adrienne hurried into the drawing room of her house and spied the wreckage for the first time. She gasped. “Mon Dieu. Qu'est arrivé ici ? Ma belle maison!”

“J'aiderai tout remets. Il y a de rien vous déranger.” Robert responded in French without thinking. “I will help. There’s nothing to upset you.”

“On Christmas…” Adrienne put her hands over her face.

“Where’s Fuller?” Julian asked.

“With Gamilla and the others in the servants’ hall.” Adrienne answered. “Toby’s with them—quite happily eating some fine turkey.” She tilted her head to one side. “Oh, Lord Fallbridge! You’re back. I didn’t realize at first.”

“He’s been struck on the head.” Robert said, rubbing Julian’s arm.

“Is he injured?” Adrienne asked.

“I don’t think so.” Robert shook his head. “Thankfully.” He paused, “Adrienne, I broke a window upstairs. It seems Julian and I leave a trail of broken windows behind us wherever we go.”

“That’s the least of my concerns.” Adrienne sighed as she set about righting the room. “Where’s my husband? Is he still chasing Iolanthe?”

“He is,” Robert nodded.

“I do wish he’d come back. It’s not worth it. She always wins.” Adrienne began to sob.

Julian sat up, the figure of Mr. Punch still on his lap.

“Come and sit, dear Adrienne,” Julian said. “Please.”

“I cannot, Mr. Punch.” Adrienne cried. She shook her head, “I mean, Lord Julian. I’m sorry…I’m so confused. Pourquoi arrive-ceci ? Nous avons souffert déjà autant de!”

“I know, Adrienne,” Julian said soothingly. “We have all suffered more than it seems humanly possible. However, we must remain strong. We must have confidence.”

“Julian’s correct.” Robert grinned, proud of His Lordship for stating something that he should have believed long before. “Cecil will walk in that door any moment now.”

“Carrying the head of Iolanthe Evangeline?” Adrienne sobbed.

“At least it would mean an end to all of this.” Robert sighed.

Meanwhile, Agnes Rittenhouse burst into Ulrika’s bedchamber.

“Get out!” Ulrika spat. “Can’t you see I’m busy?”

Barbara Allen and Arthur were slumped motionless on the settee in front of Ulrika who stood before them both. Their faces were expressionless, their jaws slack.

“He tried to kill me!” Agnes sputtered.

“Who?” Ulrika grinned. “The lunatic Lord? How delicious!”

“No.” Agnes stammered. “The other one. His companion!”

“Oh.” Ulrika’s eyes widened. “I didn’t think he had that much vinegar in him. Really, how terribly exciting! Did you leave the note as I requested?”

“Don’t you care that I almost lost my life?” Agnes asked.

“Not really.” Ulrika grinned. “You’re here, aren’t you? Clearly, you’ve survived.”

“You are heartless.”

“You have no idea.” Ulrika smiled. “Now, get out. I’ll call for you if I need you.”

Speechless, Agnes left the room.

Ulrika knelt down in front of Barbara and Arthur and spoke to their limp bodies.

“Now, we’re alone again. Are you listening?”

Arthur mumbled something that Ulrika couldn’t quite understand.

“There’s no need to speak.” Ulrika snapped. “Just listen…”



Did you miss Chapters 1-99? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Iolanthe's idea of compassion is very scary. Ulrika seems to have no compassion at all. Between the two of them our "chums" have a lot to contend with.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're right, Darcy. Ulrika makes Iolanthe seem almost gentle...almost.