Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Fun: La Tarantella di Pulcinella, 1959

We turn again to the delightful work of Emanuele Luzzati, the brilliant director, animator, painter, illustrator and designer who brought us many charming books and short films about Mr. Punch’s Italian Cousin, Pulcinella.  This 1959 short film by Luzzati shows a version of his Pulcinella character that predates the figure which would later define his interpretation of the loveable scamp.  My Italian isn’t very good, so I’m not terribly sure what’s happening here.  It almost seems as if these are two films pieced together with a vintage commercial for “Barilla” pasta in the middle.  If any of you have better Italian skills than I do (and, at least, I know that the dozens of you reading this from Italy do), I’d love some further insight.   




No comments: