Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Painting of the Day: Portrait of a Soldier by William J. McCloskey, 1937

Born in Philadelphia in 1859, William Joseph McCloskey showed a vast artistic talent at an early age. Fiercely devoted to his studies, William J. McCloskey enjoyed surrounding himself with other Pennsylvanian artists. One artist in particular was a frequent companion of McCloskey’s, artist Alberta Binford. The two married and moved to Los Angeles where they soon were recognized as the shining stars of the American art world. In 1885, the duo moved to New York, and then, embarked on a world-wide journey to continue to perfect their art. Both mainly focused on still lifes, however, they would occasionally paint a portrait—using the same painstaking attention to detail. Known for his exceptional handling of light and shadow, and almost-photographic realism, William J. McCloskey’s still lifes hang in the finest museums in the world.


I happened to find this portrait by McCloskey in a Dallas-area antique store. Dated 1937 next to his signature, the painting shows the determination of a brave American soldier. I remember the day I found this painting quite well. I was on crutches after injuring my foot. Quite exhausted after galumphing around the antique store, I recall the person at the desk asking if the subject was a relative. There is, apparently, a bit of a resemblance between myself and the subject. Regardless, I’m pleased to have this special painting in the collection. McCloskey has realistically captured the strength and intelligence of a man who deserves to be remembered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I see an old portrait it makes me wonder about the subject it portrays. Where did he serve? What are his medals for? The mysteries it evokes make it all the more intriguing.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I wonder about these things, too. I'm not well-versed in military history. If anyone out there recognizes the uniform or the medals, I'd be very happy to know more about them.