Friday, August 13, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 17

Good day, Mr. Punch.” Robert calmly nodded to Julian who looked up at him wide-eyed from the narrow bed.


“You may call me Mr. ‘Punch,’ doctor, however to be exact, as I’ve told you before, my surname is Molliner.” Punch said through Julian’s mouth.

“Very well.” Robert nodded.

“I remember you,” Punch said, making Julian’s body sit up. “Oh, yes, I remember you. Julian doesn’t. But, I do.”

“Do you, Mr. Punch?”

“Of course, foolish man.” Punch forced Julian’s mouth into a wide grin which looked to Robert as if it might hurt Julian’s face. “You were the physician what attended Julian when those men jumped ‘im in Covent Garden. I remember you because you weren’t so rough with him. You see, I was there. I was there twice, you might say.”

“Twice?” Robert asked, remaining quite level-headed despite the odd scene that played out before him.

“Sure enough. My brother…you know, in the theater.” Punch grumbled.

“I see.” Robert nodded.

“Julian doesn’t remember so much about that day. But, I do. I remember everything. Even the first time—long, long ago with Nanny. Only, Julian doesn’t like to think about it. I know about it. I think about it all the time.”

“Mr. Punch,” Robert began, “you say you remember my attending His Lordship when he was beaten in Covent Garden that day. I, too, remember you. You introduced yourself to me at the time.”

“I know.” Punch widened Julian’s eyes.

“I also knew that the body of the man who was injured belonged to Julian, Lord Fallbridge. Not to Mr. Punch.”

“Yes, it’s his body—so much as it is. Believe me, Julian’s isn’t so special. But, it’s the only body we’ve got between us what with mine being taken from my nice spot in the cabinet.”

“Who took you?” Robert asked.

“Now, I can’t very well see, can I? Not without Julian’s eyes. And, Julian was using his eyes at the time.” Punch spat irritably. “It can’t be helped that he’s got to use the body, too. Though he’s no good with it, he isn’t. Always so overwrought and upset. Always in such pain. It makes all of us hurt.”

“All?” Robert asked.

“Never you mind about that.” Punch spat. “If you please, I’ll be asking the questions.”

“I would prefer to do my business with Julian.” Robert said gently. He rubbed Julian’s shoulder lightly to try to elicit some response.

“Julian doesn’t like to be touched, you know.” Punch smirked. “’Sides, he can’t cope very well with much of anything. I’m the sharp one. Don’t you know I always win? I always kill the Devil!”

“So I understand.” Robert couldn’t help but smile.

“Don’t you laugh at me.” Punch warned.

“I wouldn’t dream of it.” Robert nodded.

“You are! You’re laughing at me. How dare you? Now, listen to me. I’m lost! I’m in pain. I’m the one what wants finding. Not that cow, Barbara. And, what’s more, if we find my body, maybe I won’t need to use Julian’s. Did you think of that? No. I’m trying to save me-self, and, you’re laughing. I’m lost! Lost, lost, lost, lost.”

Julian’s body rocked back and forth.

“Mr. Punch, do calm yourself.” Robert said soothingly.

“Go to Blazes, Mr. Halifax!” Punch shouted.

And, then, Julian’s body went limp.

“Julian?” Robert patted Julian’s face. “Julian?”

Julian, however, would not be roused.

Robert hurried to the basin to fetch some water, but the pitcher was empty.

“Damn fool, that Arthur.” Robert grumbled. He opened the cabin door to call for a porter.

Rushing down the hallway, he spotted Arthur on his way back, carrying a silver cloche-covered tray. The man, however, wasn’t alone. Next to him stood a woman in a large, veiled hat. Arthur spoke to her softly. She was clearly a lady.

“Impertinent man!” Robert shouted down the corridor, “Leave that lady alone. You’re needed here at once. Your master’s ill.”

Arthur frowned, but did as he was told.

“Pardon me, Miss,” Robert nodded at the lady who turned on her heel and left.

“I thought you said His Lordship were sick.” Arthur cooed from inside the cabin.

“He is,” Mr. Halifax said, following Arthur into the cabin, his eyebrows rising at the site of the empty bed.

“Well, he ain’t in here, Sir.” Arthur grinned.



Did you miss Chapters 1-16?  If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Dashwood said...

Outstanding story telling. How terrifying for Julian and, to a degree, Punch too.

Darcy said...

Oh this is getting scary!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood. It's a pity that these two terrified minds share one frail body.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Darcy, thanks for reading. What's even going to be scarier, I think, is when Julian starts to realize what's going on.

Fran said...

Oh I so agree with these other two comments. I'm loving this. When is it going to be a movie already? XOXOXO

Joseph Crisalli said...

Fran, in order for this to be a movie, I need a fairy godmother to wave her magic wand and smack some studio executives in the head with it to get their attention. I'm currently auditioning fairy godmothers if you know anyone who might fit the bill. Smiling and waving...