Monday, January 28, 2013

Treat of the Week: Ham for Miss Landers Day, 2013






This year’s “Ham for Miss Landers” Day was ham-less as usual, but that doesn’t mean we all weren’t squealing with delight. 


The festivities began with a succulent pork barbeque, shredded and seasoned to perfection. White and brown rice adorned with herbs, peridot-green cabbage and a crust ciabatta bread made for a hearty celebratory meal. 



But, as always, the real treasure was the dessert. And, this one looks as if it could have come straight from June Cleaver’s kitchen…well, only better, because let’s face it, June was no cook. This Cream Cheese Pineapple Pie was made from a combination of recipes my mother had gotten from her mother. This creamy treat really was the kind of dessert popular when Beaver was in Miss Landers’ class. In fact, my mother even decorated it in that late 50s, early 60s way—complete with maraschino cherries! The cream cheese pie, atop a thick cookie crust, is topped with crushed, fresh pineapple. I very much enjoyed this retro dessert and liked the combination of textures as well as the tartness of the pineapple combined with the creaminess of the pie’s filling. 


 

Since this was a recipe culled from, I think, three different other recipes, it’s not one that I can competently share, but, I’m sure a search for similar delights would yield a recipe which would bring this luscious joy into your kitchen. 

15 comments:

Matt said...

Just wonderful! It looks fantastic!

April said...

MMMMmmmmm. Good lookin' pig and a cool pie!

Gene said...

That pie is reason enough to celebrate.

Sam P said...

That looks so good!

Kathy said...

I love the way the pie is styled. Nice picture of Miss landerss too.

Book Gurl said...

What a good looking dinner. I want a piece of the pie.

Angelo said...

Awesome pie!

Beth Ann said...

Oooooooooo. I love it!!!

Carolyn said...

This really does look yumsy! I thought the idea of a day for ham was delicious but this is even better.

Wendy said...

Reslly pretty!

Mark said...

Brilliant party!

Doug said...

I'd like some of that pork and a piece of pie.

Susan said...

Looks like you had a nice day. I think the pie looks delicious.

Dashwood said...

I'd like to ask (since no one else had the nerve to do so) why there the image of Miss Landers is emerging from a ham? Something like Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Or even more sinister? Hmmmmmmmm?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Not at all sinister...it's a lovely, comforting image which reminds us that sometimes we all get too close to the Hormel plant.