Nelson Ethelred Dawson, 1900
The Victoria & Albert Museum
The enameled plaque is oval shaped. Depth is given to the enamel spray of lilies of the valley, the leaves by the use of translucent enamel over foil. The enamel is held by four claws in the pierced gold frame which is in the form of a cartouche with stepped edges. A scrolling band of pierced openwork gold is set with pearls leading up to the winged cherub and gold fleur-de-lis.
Made in 1900, this is the work of Nelson Dawson who learned enameling from the distinguished teacher and enameller Alexander Fisher. Dawson shared his knowledge to his wife Edith, a skilled watercolorist who went on to do most of the enameling in their joint work. They preferred subtle botanical themes.