Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 342

Marjani rushed forward.

“Stop that woman!” Marie screamed.

Several of the people in the writhing crowd turned and grabbed for Marjani, but she still managed to reach Mr. Punch’s side.

“Giovanni!” Marie Laveau belched furiously. “Restrain her!”

Giovanni Iantosca nervously looked up from where he knelt beside his unconscious brother, Charles.

“Do it or I’ll make sure that your brother’s blood will be spilt for the last time!”

Giovanni rose and staggered toward Marjani, grabbing her by the shoulders.

“Forgive me,” He whispered in Marjani’s ear.

“Only God done got that power now.” Marjani spat. “Let me go. Look at him!” She pointed to Mr. Punch who continued to thrash madly on the ground, ranting in Mr. Scaramouche’s voice. “He needs me.”

Still, Giovanni did not release his grasp.

Marie Laveau walked by Marjani and smiled at her. “So, the Elegant Ogress and the red-headed harlot betrayed me, did they? I’m not surprised. Their loyalty is like smoke. It gathers and fades with the changing of the wind.” Marie brushed her fingers against Marjani’s cheek. “Where will the wind carry you?”

“I ain’t carried by nothin’ but love.” Marjani said firmly. “And, I don’t got no love for you, Marie Laveau.”

“I’ll tell you a secret,” Marie smiled, rubbing her stomach. “I fear you.”

“You should.” Marjani growled.

“You have a power that I don’t quite understand. I don’t think you’re aware of how powerful you really are.”

“I know what God has put me here to do.”

“It ain’t God that put you here, Woman!” Marie cackled. “It was me. I’m your god now! Your power is mine. On this night, all power is mine.” She pointed toward Mr. Punch. “Even his.” Looking at Giovanni, Marie narrowed her eyes, “Hold her.”

With that, Marie Laveau sauntered over to Mr. Punch and tapped him with her foot.

“Your Grace?” Marie laughed. “There’s nothing particularly graceful about you right now, is there?”

“Let me go!” Punch screamed, or, more accurately, Mr. Scaramouche—who had since taken control of the body—screamed. “I’ll make all of you suffer! I won’t be treated like this! You won’t take my freedom!”

“I’ll take whatever I damn well please.” Marie snarled. “But, I do want you to be comfortable, Your Grace.”

‘Thieves! Liars!” Scaramouche continued to shriek.

“I understand you like to hit people on the head.” Marie knelt down.

“That’s Punch!” Scaramouche answered shrilly.

“Well, whoever it is, he looks like you, and I want you to be happy.” Marie grinned. Marie reached over and picked up a rock from the side of the bonfire. The heat of it felt good in her hand and she shivered with excitement.

“What’s she doin?” Marjani howled as she watched Marie raise the stone above her head.

From within their shared body, Mr. Punch screamed. “Master! I knew this weren’t a good idea! Scaramouche only made it worse, he did!”

“It is done, now, Mr. Punch.” Julian said softly from Punch’s side in the room that only they could see.

As the rock struck the head of their shared body, neither Punch nor Julian felt anything. It seems that Scaramouche absorbed all of the pain.

However, their phantom room filled with darkness.

“Master?” Punch said, hoping to hear Julian’s voice in response. But, Julian did not respond. Julian had left Punch’s side.

Elsewhere in their shared body, in an opulent drawing room of his own imagination, Julian bowed his head. “Your Majesty,” he said with deep sincerity. “It is my honor to serve you.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-341? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

I hope that whatever power the Duke of Fallbridge sees fit to bow before is strong enough to help all of his facets and his friends.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I think the result of this will be quite a surprise. You will see that this "power" is worthy of a bow.