Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 246



Chapter 246 

Monogrammed Linens 


You’d never know somethin’ was wrong by lookin’ in here.” Gerard smiled as he came into the nursery.

“Honey, you shouldn’t…” Gamilla began, but she stopped herself. “Come sit by the fire. Colin’s jus’ had his bath.”

Gerard limped over to the cradle and smiled at the baby. “He smells good.”

Gamilla nodded.

Glancing to the chair by the fire, Gerard grinned. “I may have to sit on the floor.”

Gamilla squinted as she noticed that Dog Toby had curled up in the cozy chair.

“Now, Toby.” Gamilla said softly. “You let Mr. Gurney sit.”

The terrier looked up and licked his nose before sighing the exasperated sigh that only a dog can release. Dog Toby rolled over slightly, making just enough room for Gerard to sit.

Settling into the chair, Gerard inhaled. “How you doin’, love?”

Gamilla shook her head. “I can’t stop thinkin’ ‘bout Jenny.”

“Nor can I.” Gerard nodded.

“She was stabbed, Gerry.” Gamilla pressed her hands together. “Just like you was.” She shook her head again. “I keep thinkin’ that if you hadn’t been with Dr. Halifax when it happened, you’d not have lived neither. And, then, I keep thinkin’ that maybe if…”

“What is it that the Duke always says?” Gerard interrupted.

“That it’s time for breakfast.” Gamilla responded.

“You know what I mean.” Gerard tilted his head to one side. “His Grace always says that we can’t worry ‘bout what coulda been.”

“It’s hard not to.” Gamilla answered softly. “I wanna cry and scream, Gerry.”

“Go ‘head.”

“I can’t. I can’t scare Colin. He don’t know what’s happened. I hope he never knows.”

“Then, he’d never have known Jenny.” Gerard responded. “I think when Colin grows up, we should tell ‘im that there were a fine young lady what worked in this house. One what was good to ‘im and what made up little plates of sweeties special for ‘im.”

Gamilla nodded. “Do you think he’ll remember her?”

“Not without us to remind ‘im.” Gerard answered.

“Then, we should.” Gamilla replied. “I keep thinkin’ that it’s all a dream. That…that if I go downstairs she’ll be in the kitchens, cuttin’ up potatoes or gratin’ cheese or gigglin’ with Ethel in the scullery. It ain’t fair, I guess, that I never gave her much thought before. She was there…always…and I liked her. But, she was just Jenny to me. I didn’t realize all the joy she done brought to the house in her own little ways.”

“We don’t miss the things we got ‘til they’re gone.” Gerard answered.

“Makes me keep wonderin’ what else I’ll miss.” Gamilla turned away.

“If you mean me, I ain’t goin’ nowhere.” Gerard replied.

“Gerard,” Gamilla began, “I jus’ don’t wanna miss nothin’.”

“You ain’t gonna.” Gerard smiled.

“How do we know that? Jenny thought she’d have to get up and start crackin’ eggs for Mrs. Pepper. Mrs. North thought she’d have to see the mess from the ball cleaned up. Naasir thought that he’d have to press the Duke’s collars for dinner. My sister…my sister…and…”

She clenched shut her eyes.

“It’s true we don’t know what’s gonna happen, ‘Milla.”

“I wanna be your wife, Gerard.” Gamilla whispered.

Gerard was silent.

“If you’ll have me.”

“Well…” Gerard grinned, tears forming in his eyes. “It’s me what should worry ‘bout…I mean…I ain’t good ‘nough for ya.”

“You’re perfect for me.” Gamilla replied.

“Only shouldn’t I be the one what asks you?”

“Does it matter?” Gamilla smiled.

“No.” Gerard wiped his eyes. “But, I still wanna.” He rose from the chair and knelt in front of Gamilla.

“Gamilla…” He began, but paused. “Cor, you don’t got another name do ya?”

Gamilla shook her head.

“Well, you’re gonna.” Gerard nodded. “Gamilla, will you…will you be my wife? Will you take me, low as I am, for your husband?”

“I will.” Gamilla smiled. “Now, get up off the cold floor, Honey. Ain’t gonna do your side no good.”

Gamilla helped Gerard to his feet and the two embraced.

Once they parted, Gerard’s smile faded.

“What is it, Gerry?”

“I dunno if we can get married.” He said softly. “What with…”

“You bein’ white and me not.” Gamilla smiled. “It don’t matter. Even if we can’t. I’ll be your wife. I’ll be your partner. I’ll be Gamilla Gurney.”

“And…and…we can share the monogrammed linens.” Gerard chuckled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-245? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 247 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.





No comments: