Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Object of the Day: A Curious Victorian Portrait

I was drawn to this painting when I saw it in a Dallas antique shop. Despite her sour expression, she’s really quite charming. Something about her reminded me a tad of Agnes Moorehead. And, so, she came home.


With her elaborately braided coiffure and her sensible wrap, she strikes us as being a very proper lady. The fact that she was painted with this rather grim expression speaks volumes about her sensibilities. Yet, she’s quite pretty in her own way. Her pale skin and auburn hair tell of a beauty hidden by too much emotion.

I have no idea who she was or, even, who painted her. However, judging by the canvas, the frame and the composition, I would place the painting around 1880. It’s either American or British. The French wouldn’t have painted a woman looking so dour. It’s just a curious portrait. I have a fondness of grim portraits. In many ways, I prefer them to highly idealized representations because they tell a tale of a real life. Life is not always rosy cheeks and perfect drapery. Sometimes, even the best of us looks a little pinched.

No comments: