Friday, April 11, 2014

Treat of the Week: Surprise Turkey Edition




No one expects a turkey dinner on a random Sunday at the start of Spring.  But, that's just what Bertie and I found at my parents' house this past weekend when we were greeted by the enticing aroma of roasting turkey.

I must say, it was a very nice surprise--all laid out on a vintage table cloth in brilliant, floral tones.

Instead of being a redo of Thanksgiving, my mother had made this a true Springtime feast.









The dressing was a lighter version of the sausage dressing we enjoy at Thanksgiving which was brightened up with fresh Spring corn, cut straight off the cob.  Served with fresh asparagus with nuts, this was a celebration of rejuvenation and thanks for new beginnings.




For dessert, we continued the celebration with a lovely, crumb-topped pear coffee cake, full of cinnamon and pear goodness.  A dollop of whipped cream infused with Eau de Vie (a fruit-flavored liqueur) was the perfect companion.







12 comments:

April said...

I want to have a turkey! What a good idea!!!

Beth Ann said...

It all looks wonderful! I think the stuffing with corn is a great idea!

Matt said...

That makes me smile. Your mom is the best.

Kathy said...

Everything is perfect from the color of the turkey to the topping on the cake. Bellisima!

Gene said...

Our Thanksgiving didn't look that good. I've never seen a turkey that nice looking in person.

Carolyn said...

Now I'm hungry for a great big drumstick and some dressing and.....cake!!!

Angelo said...

Looks awesommmme!

Book Gurl said...

Beautiful!

Barb said...

Wow! A lot of work! It looks really good!

Renee said...

How wonderful! This is such a nice thing for your mother to do for her family.

Gregg said...

God that looks great. I think we should all have a second thanksgiving in the spring.

Susan said...

Fantastic!