Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 261




Chapter 261
Marduk’s Queen 


No one move.” Orpha howled from the front bedroom when she heard the knock on the front door. “The visitor is for me.”

“Sure, I’ve got me hands full lookin’ after poor Lady Constance.” Eudora answered.

“About that,” Orpha narrowed her eyes as she stepped into the hallway. She peered into the filthy parlor and glowered at Eudora. “If she’s not gone by the morning, I’ll give her some of my own medicine. And, if you let her see her daughter, I’ll see that you receive a dose as well.”

Eudora and Constance exchanged quick glances.

“Furthemore,” Orpha continued. “You’re not to look upon my visitor. Lower your eyes!”

Constance and Eudora did as instructed.

“Stay here.” Orpha commanded.

With that, she forced a smile and went to open the front door. She grinned broadly upon looking at the thick-necked giantess who stood before her.

“Miss Polk,” Ulrika began. “I am…”

“I know who you are, Great One.” Orpha bowed. “I know you, Marduk’s Queen.”

“And, I you.” Ulrika nodded. “But, you…really, you are the great one. The mother of our newborn king.”

“Would you like to see him?” Orpha gestured theatrically. “They’re waiting for you.”

“I’ve thought of nothing else for weeks.” Ulrika cooed.

“Come with me.” Orpha responded.

Ulrika glanced into the parlor as she passed. “Who are those women?”

“Nothing but an inconvenience, but sadly, a necessary piece of the puzzle. I’ve much to tell you.”

“I look forward to it, really.” Ulrika replied. “But, first, I must see him.”

“Of course,” Orpha winked, opening the door to her room. “There they are. He awaits you.”

“Oh…” Ulrika groaned with pleasure as she entered the room. “He’s magnificent.”

“Isn’t he?” Orpha said proudly. “Look upon his faces.”

“One is so perfectly hideous, and, the other, like a sickening angel. Truly superb. And, look at his fifteen, darling little fingers. There are fifteen, yes?”

“Sixteen.” Orpha answered humbly.

“Even better.” Ulrika purred.

“He likes you. Look at the way they follow you with his eyes.” Orpha continued. “They want to touch you. Let him.”

Ulrika extended her hand, and, Marduk reached for her index finger with his third arm.

“He knows you.” Orpha said softly. “He knows you will rule for him. He knows you are his Queen.”

“If I could, I would cry.” Ulrika nodded. “Have you found a mate for him yet?”

“Yes.” Orpha nodded. “His half-sister. Fern, also born of a wicked woman.”

“How wicked?”

“Matricide.” Orpha giggled.

“Oh, very nice.” Ulrika grinned. “Is her mother one of the women in the other room?”

“Yes.” Orpha nodded.

“Does she know of your intention?”

“No.” Orpha said. “I’ve got them all believing that I seek revenge against my brother for abandoning me in the workhouse.”

“It isn’t so much of a lie,” Ulrika chuckled.

“No.” Orpha said.

“You’re sure he is the girl’s father?” Ulrika asked.

“Oh, yes.”

“Excellent. When they’re old enough, they may mate.”

“If only I could have given him a true sister. However, it’s just not possible. His birth left me…”

“It was meant to be.” Ulrika dismissed the thought. “You’ve been very thoughtful.”

“And, they really do like Fern. You should his faces when she’s near. I’m sure he knows that she’s for them. Mummy’s little monster.”

“Oh touching,” Ulrika sighed sweetly. “How is his appetite?”

“Voracious.”

“Both of him?”

“Yes.” Orpha nodded.

“And, you’ve been feeding him as instructed?” Ulrika asked.

“I’ve followed every direction in each of your letters.”

“I’m so pleased.” Ulrika replied. “Have you offered sacrifices?”

“Several.” Orpha responded with pride. “The brother of the other woman in there, the old housekeeper of the Duke’s, several single women, a sour-faced Scot, and, most recently, a young woman from the Duke’s London home.”

“Brilliant.” Ulrika approved. “And next will be Marduk’s father, yes?”

“As instructed.” Orpha nodded.

“You’ve been wonderful,” Ulrika gushed. “And no one is the wiser?”

“No.” Orpha replied. “It hasn’t been easy.”

“I’ve had faith in you all along, ever since I heard of the miracle birth. And, really, Orpha…it’s just divine that you already had ties to the Duke of Fallbridge.”

“I’ve been working for years to get into that household. Even before my little monster was born. I’ve always known that I should have the Duchess of Fallbridge’s fortune. If there was any woman to whom I was most similar, it was she. It’s a pity she wasn’t really my mother.”

“You mustn’t say such things.” Ulrika answered with a queer gentleness. “Would it had been true, you’d never have given Marduk back to us.”

“It’s my great failing.” Orpha shook her head. “I’ve still not mastered the Duke. He continues to evade me. I even managed to involve him in my search for Marduk’s mate…when I borrowed my little darlings’ siblings. I’d hoped the Duke’s sense of duty would have led him to me, but, no. I continue to punish him as best I can.”

“You’ll best him.” Ulrika nodded. “I wasn’t able to. If anyone can, it’s you. And, your triumph will be all the more spectacular. I wrote you of my attempt to get his fortune.”

“Yes.” Orpha sighed.

“You’ll succeed where I failed.” Ulrika grinned. She looked at Marduk. “He’s so magnificently repulsive.”

“Thank you.”

“I think he may be hungry. Look at the way his mouths are moving.”

“You’re correct.” Orpha grinned. “Would you like to feed him?”

“Could I?” Ulrika squealed. “Oh…what an honor!”

“You are his Queen.” Orpha smiled.

“Well…” Ulrika responded demurely.

“There’s a fresh rat in the basket near the bassinette.” Orpha pointed.

“How exciting,” Ulrika cooed as she pushed up the sleeves of her gown.



Did you miss Chapters 1-260 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 262.






No comments: