Monday, September 26, 2011

Treat of the Week: A Marvelous Golden Trifle

This week’s treat is a real show-stopper. My mother has created gorgeous individual trifles of magnificent flavor, color and texture. A base of lemon pound cake supports this rich, creamy, but light, confection. The flavor of the lemon pound cake is accentuated by lime curd and heightened by a cognac-infused Crème Anglaise and fresh whipped cream mixed with Limoncello.


Raspberries, blueberries, golden kiwi, pineapple and banana add a plethora of different flavors and textures which compliment the flavors of the creamier elements and the cake. The whole of the dessert is made all the more delectable by a berry sauce of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and black raspberry brandy.

Words don’t do it justice. And, frankly, the photos don’t either. But, look and enjoy!

 




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHen we were small, my mum would make a big trifle for pudding and she would put all sorts of things in it for the adults, but she would make personal ones like this in tall beakers for us tots and sometimes even in teacups. This makes me happy to see. These look very fresh and light and they remind me of the puddings my mum made in the spring when she could get the freshest fruit. We never had gold kiwi and I think I should like to try it.

Book Gurl said...

What an interesting combination of flavors. And the presentation is beautiful. I'll bet it tastes even better than it looks.

Carolyn said...

Oh, take me back to dear old blighty! Ok, I've only visited, but I had a dessert like this in a very swank restaurant. I loves me some golden kiwi!!!! Yumsy!

Matt said...

I assume your mom is a professional chef d'cuisine? This is such a sophisticated array of flavors. I am impressed, and now again hungry thanks to this website.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm glad to bring back some fond memories, Anonymous.

Joseph Crisalli said...

It does, Book Gurl.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Carolyn, you're so funny.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, Matt, my mother very well could be a professional chef. She is, however, all ours and we don't wish to share her. Sorry to have made you hungry, but I will pass on your praise.