Thursday, September 29, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 354

Iolanthe, Iolanthe, Iolanthe,” Marie Laveau clucked her tongue. “I gotta say, Woman, I am disappointed in ya.”


“Please, spare me your Holy Mother routine.” Iolanthe growled, struggling against the fabric which Marie’s men had used to bind her hands.

“Ain’t I?” Marie grinned. “Ain’t I the Holy Mother?”

“Ha!” Iolanthe Evangeline spat. “You’re about as holy as I.”

“Now, now.” Marie scowled. “Ain’t it true? I got a life inside me. Didn’t get there by no earthly way.”

“Didn’t it?” Iolanthe chortled. “This whole spectacle is for the benefit of your faithful followers, Marie. That child got there the same way your other fourteen did, and the same way all o’ mine did.”

“Only one of yours lived, Honey.” Marie barked.

“I only let one of mine live.” Iolanthe snarled.

“And, look what that got ya. Some kind of monster.”

“I may be bound, Marie Laveau, but if you say another word about my son, I’ll kill ya!” Iolanthe shouted.

“I ain’t scared.” Marie laughed. “Now, Woman, I thought you and I had finally reached an understandin’. I thought you done come back to me and that we was ready to put our bad blood behind us. Then, I come to find that you and your flame-haired white accomplice gotta help the Duke’s servant get to him. Now, what you want to go an associate with folk like that for. Honey, stick with your own kind.”

“I’m not like you, Marie.”

“Honey, you’re an octoroon. Your skin may be light, but inside, you’re just like me. And, don’t we got the same beliefs? Ain’t we both united in our power?”

Iolanthe didn’t respond.

“Oh, Woman, you’re only makin’ things worse for yourself. Now, why’d you have to go an’ cross me, Honey?”

“Marie, I didn’t cross you. I just have different interests.” Iolanthe smiled.

“I understand.” Marie narrowed her eyes. “Raise up your hands.”

“Why?”

“I want to untie you.” Marie smiled.

Iolanthe hesitantly raised her bound arms in front of herself.

Her screams of agony cut through the chaotic din in the Place Congo.

Meanwhile, at the Royal Street mansion, Meridian lay on the floor as Agnes Rittenhouse chortled above her.

“Never underestimate a nanny, my dear.” Agnes giggled to the unconscious woman. “We may be small, but we’re mighty.”

She turned her attention to Columbia who cowered in the corner of the nursery.

“Do you want me to do the same to you, little girl?” Agnes asked.

“No.” Columbia whispered.

“Then, you’re going to hold your tongue until I leave here. Do you understand?”

“I do.” Columbia trembled.

“Which one of these babies is my Lady’s?” Agnes asked Columbia.

“I dunno.” Columbia shivered. “Who’s your lady?”

“My Lady! My Lady!” Agnes belched impatiently.

“I don’t understand.” Columbia cried.

“Useless!” Agnes spat. “I’ll just have to take both of them.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-353? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Evil seems to have the upper hand right now. That Nanny Rittenhouse has a soul as black as coal. She can give Marie and Iolanthe a run for their money.

Joseph Crisalli said...

She is pretty awful...menacing a child and, well, everything else she's done. Thanks for reading!

Matt said...

Yah, Darcy. I don't know who's worse. If that Agnes came around one of my kids I would hit her with a stick just like Punch.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I agree, Matt.