Saturday, August 27, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 328

Marie Laveau opened her arms as Ulrika and Giovanni joined the undulating crowd at the Place Congo.

Ulrika couldn’t help but squeal with uncomfortable delight as Marie embraced her.

“You came,” Marie cooed.

“Your invitation was too, too deliciously intriguing.” Ulrika said stepping backward.

Marie reached for Giovanni’s hand and placed it over her abdomen. “Feel that?”

Giovanni nodded.

“That’s life inside of me.”

“I see,” Giovanni smiled weakly, pulling his hand away.

“I must say,” Ulrika said, looking toward Iolanthe who stood behind Marie. “that I was surprised to receive your invitation. I was under the impression that you detested me, Marie. Iolanthe, did you encourage Marie to ask me to join this celebration?”

“No. I detest you myself.” Iolanthe smiled. “Mostly.”

“I done it on my own, Girl.” Marie laughed.

“Why?” Ulrika asked.

“Come,” Marie said, grabbing Ulrika by the hand and dragging her toward the bonfire.

Giovanni smiled and Iolanthe and the two followed Ulrika and Marie.

“This is all quite odd.” Giovanni whispered as they walked.

“New Orleans,” Iolanthe chuckled. “Is an odd city.”

“I’m learning that.” Giovanni nodded.

Ulrika gasped as she reached the fire. Her eyes first settled on Nellie’s corpse.

“You knew this girl?” Marie asked.

“I did. Not well, but I did.” Ulrika muttered.

“But, you knew him well. Didn’t you?” Marie asked, pointing to Arthur’s body.

Ulrika stiffened upon seeing Arthur.

“You loved him?” Marie laughed.

“I don’t know.” Ulrika said.

“I know.” Marie winked. “In your way, you loved him.”

“I loved part of him,” Ulrika replied slowly.

“Then, you’ll do.” Marie answered firmly.

“For what?” Ulrika asked cautiously.

“To help me with the last stage. You—you and Iolanthe and my daughter—will help ensure that my child is imbued with the power of these three lost souls.”

“How?” Iolanthe asked.

“You’ll soon see.” Marie growled. “But, first, we need one more thing.”

“He’s comin’, Mama.” Young Marie shouted from behind her mother.

Marie turned to watch as a gray-haired black man carried the limp body of Charles toward the fire.

“That’s my brother,” Giovanni gasped.

“Yes.” Marie chuckled. “All the better that you’re here, Sir. You will be the greatest help of all.”





Did you miss Chapters 1-327? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, August 29, 2011 for Chapter 329 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: