Monday, April 11, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 218

You look almost pretty when you’re sleepin’.” Marie smiled at Marjani. “Almost.”


“How’d you get in here?” Marjani said, clearing her throat.

“Woman, I can get in anywhere I want. Don’t ya think that I can walk into any house in this city if I want to?” Marie Laveau answered proudly.

“What you want from me, Marie?” Marjani asked.

“You spilled my blood, Woman.” Marie frowned. “That wasn’t very kind of you—you who calls herself a healer.”

“I’m no healer.” Marjani got out of bed. “I’m someone who tries to make sick folk a little more comfortable. That’s all. I don’t heal nobody. If I was a healer, my daughter’d still be alive and my granddaughter wouldn’t be no orphan bein’ raised by an old woman.”

“She ain’t gonna be raised by no one by the time I’m done with ya.” Marie leaned back on the bed casually.

“You don’t scare me, Marie.” Marjani shook her head. “Now, you listen to me. I didn’t mean to hurt ya. For true, I didn’t. But, it was a question of loyalty. These fine folk been real kind to me. I was doin’ what I needed to do for to protect them. I’m sure even you can understand that.”

Marie laughed.

“Somethin’ funny?” Marjani scowled. “Marie, you got your loyalties, too. You tellin’ me that ain’t no one been hurt if they got in your path?”

“I don’t care ‘bout no one else, Woman.” Marie smirked. “I only care ‘bout my own hurt.”

“Marie Laveau,” Marjani said firmly. “I got things for to do. I got folk relyin’ on me and I ain’t got time to stand here and quarrel with ya ‘bout no petty vendetta you got. I’m sorry that you got hurt, I really am. It was an accident. If you’re gonna punish me for an accident, go on and do it. If you’re just here to talk at me and try to make me feel afraid, you’re wastin’ your time and mine. I done saw death head on. Nothin’ scares me. You can do what you want to me, but if you put my family in any path of danger, you’re gonna have more of a fight than you counted on. So, go on and do what you’re gonna do and let’s jus’ get it done with!”

Marie’s eyes widened. “Well, Woman. I don’t know whether to share a drink with ya or cut your throat. You got more gumption than I thought.”

“Honey, you better make up your mind, cuz I got somewhere else to be.”

At that very moment, Robert sputtered wake.

“Mornin’, Chum.” Punch whispered from the corner of the hotel room.

“What time is it?” Robert asked, smiling at Punch and Colin.

“Dunno.” Punch shrugged. “Sometime in the morning.”

“You should have awakened me.” Robert got out of bed.

“Needed the sleep, you did.” Punch grinned.

“Did you sleep?” Robert asked.

“For a spell.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “We’re not a sleepin’ people, me master and I.”

“True.” Robert chuckled.

“Has Marjani returned?” Robert asked, splashing water on his face.

“Not yet.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“Any sign of Ulrika or Iolanthe?” Robert continued, his voice muffled as he wiped his face with a flannel.

“Not sure. Not in here, anyway. Who knows what’s outside that door.” Mr. Punch said.

“I’d best get dressed,” Robert frowned. “Surely Adrienne and Cecil will be here shortly.”

“Provided they can get past Edward Cage’s men without bein’ followed.” Punch sighed.

Robert paused stiffly and stared at Mr. Punch.

“What is it, Chum?”

“Are we sure we want to go through with this?” Robert said softly. “This plan to pantomime our own deaths? We could be putting everyone we love in even more danger than they’re already in.”

“I don’t see no other way.” Mr. Punch took a deep breath.

“Why don’t we just leave?” Robert said quickly. “Just us and Colin. Let’s just slip away from here and leave?”

“And go where?” Mr. Punch asked.

“This is a big country.” Robert said. “We could go east. I understand New York is quite a lot like London. We might do well there.”

“And give up me master’s way of life? And Colin’s inheritance?” Punch asked.

“Why not?” Robert smiled. “I’m a physician. You—or Julian—is a talented jeweler. We can support ourselves. We can give Colin a good life on our own.”

“But…” Punch began. He stopped himself.

“Well?” Robert urged.



Did you miss Chapters 1-217? If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Dashwood said...

Hooray for Marjani! Takes a whole world of nerve to spit in Marie Laveau's eye.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, it took a lot of bravery and it will take a lot more to deal with the aftermath. But, I agreee, good for her! Thanks, Dashwood!

Darcy said...

I applaud Marjani's courage. She stands up for what she believes in without fear for the consequences.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're right, Darcy. Her loyalty outweights her fear. Thanks for reading!

Book Gurl said...

Marjani is such an inspiration.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Book Gurl.