Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 493

You will welcome the woman into our home,”  Edward Cage spat at his brittle wife, Corliss, who was slumped in a chair in their lavish Royal Street parlor.

“What will the neighbors think?”  Corliss rasped, still weak from her battle with Yellow Fever.

“You weren’t so concerned with what the neighbors would think when you shot me.”  Edward smirked.

“Edward,”  Corliss answered, trying to sit up, “if we allow Iolanthe Evangeline into our parlor, all of New Orleans will be abuzz with the news.  We’ll be disgraced.”

“We couldn’t possibly more disgraced than we already are.”  Edward growled.  “After the spectacle at the New Year’s Eve ball, we’re already the talk of the town.  Frankly, a hint of scandal has helped us.  The visitors to the waxworks have tripled each day.”

“This isn’t the waxworks.  This is our home.”  Corliss frowned.  “This is where our children play.”

“Children—plural!”  Edward snapped.  “As of yesterday, we only had one.  Had it not been for Iolanthe Evangeline, we’d still only have Orman.  Now Holt has been returned to us and it’s due to Miss Evangeline.”

“It’s due to the Duke of Fallbridge and his sister.”

“The Duke’s sister was acting on behalf of Iolanthe!”  Edward argued.

“She never said that.”

“She said as much!”  Edward roared.  “Now, kindly shut your mouth!  The invitation has been extended.  The woman is on her way!”

Right on time, the doorbell jangled as, outside, Iolanthe turned the crank.

Corliss watched as Odo rushed through the front hall to open the door.  His jaw fell to his chest when he saw Iolanthe on the other side.

“Well, Odo.”  Iolanthe smiled.  “Weren’t you expecting me?”

“No one expects you, Miss Evangeline.”  Odo responded quietly, worried that the arrival of the woman would somehow compromise what he considered his great triumph with the return of “Holt.”  Odo had begun to realize that the child that Barbara Allen had brought to the house was not the same boy who had previously been in the Cages’ care.  He wondered how much Iolanthe knew.

“Will you let me in, please?”  Iolanthe winked.

“Yes, Miss.”  Odo nodded.  “Is…”

“Yes, Mr. Cage is expecting me.”

Odo nodded again.  “Come this way.”  He stood in the archway of the parlor and announced formally, “Miss Iolanthe Evangeline.”

“Iolanthe,”  Edward rose, walking toward the woman with his hands extended.

Corliss shuddered as Iolanthe took her hsuband’s hands.

“Come, sit!”  Edward said cheerfully.

Odo watched for a moment before clucking his tongue and retreating to the kitchen.

“I must say,”  Iolanthe continued, “you’re in good spirits.  It’s nice to see.”

“Why wouldn’t I be?”  Edward laughed.  “All is right—finally.  My son is returned to me.”

“Yes.”  Iolanthe nodded.

“I’m sure that Miss Allen has told you what she did.  She served both of us well.”

“She informed me that the Duke changed his mind and that the child was brought to you.”  Iolanthe nodded.

“Do you know how she managed to convince the Duke?”  Edward asked.

“No.”  Iolanthe shook her head.  “I’m just pleased that she did.”  She looked at Corliss who had been utterly silent.  “Are you better, Mrs. Cage?”

Corliss remained silent.

“Corliss!”  Edward snapped.

“Yes,”  Corliss whispered.  “I am getting better.  Thank you.”

“You must be pleased to see your Holt returned?”  Iolanthe asked.

“I am relieved that this torture has ended.”  Corliss nodded.

“You must wonder, Iolanthe, why I’ve invited you here today?”  Edward grinned.

“Slightly.”  Iolanthe shrugged.

“You may feign modesty, but I know you must have been behind Miss Allen’s retrieval of the boy.”

“Actually, I wasn’t.  If I could take credit for it, I would.  I love to be praised and rewarded—and, I don’t want you thinkin’ that I don’t.  But, in this instance, I must confess that I was unaware of it until afterwards.”

“I don’t believe that.”  Edward winked.

“One thing I’ve never been accused of is modesty.”  Iolanthe smiled.

“Well, you shall be rewarded nonetheless.”  Edward nodded.

“I shall accept—nonetheless.”

Edward rose and walked to the shining sideboard which stood against the farthest wall of the room.  He opened a drawer and retrieved a leather case.  Crossing the room, he handed the case to Iolanthe.

“Edward,”  Corliss began.  She had immediately recognized the case and looked at her husband in disbelief.

“My wife,”  Edward smirked, “wanted me to give this to you.”

“Edward…”  Corliss again tried to sit up, but was too weak.

“Didn’t you?”  Edward glared at his wife.

Corliss sunk back into the chair.  “Yes.”  She muttered.

Iolanthe opened the case.  As she did, her eyes flickered with the light of the glimmering diamond necklace inside.

“This necklace belonged to my wife’s mother.  It’s her most prized jewel and she insisted that I present it to you.”

“It’s stunning,”  Iolanthe gasped, running a gloved finger across the myriad, shimmering diamonds.  “Thank you.”

“It’s our pleasure.”  Edward nodded, glancing contemptuously over his shoulder at Corliss who watched helplessly.  She knew then that she would spend the remainder of her life being slowly tortured and punished by her husband.

Iolanthe closed the case and tucked it into her handbag.

“Well,” she sighed.  “You’re too kind.  But, I must be going.”

“First,”  Edward interrupted.  “Don’t you wish to see my son?”

“Not especially.” Iolanthe shook her head.

“You must.  He’s a fine boy.”

“Very well.”  Iolanthe muttered.

Edward rang for Zettie who had been told in advance to have “Holt” ready for a visitor.

They sat in silence until Zettie entered the room, carrying the boy.

As they waited, Corliss could feel her heart pounding harder and harder.

Zettie nodded at Mr. Cage as she entered with the baby.

“Zettie, show Miss Evangeline my son.”  Edward barked.

Zettie cautiously knelt down and presented the boy to Iolanthe.

Iolanthe studied the child as a smile crossed her lips.  She looked into Zettie’s eyes.  Zettie, who had already realized that the child in her care was a different boy, knew that Iolanthe also noticed the difference.

Silently, using only her eyes, Zettie pleaded Iolanthe to say nothing.

Iolanthe began to chuckle.

“He’s fine, isn’t he?”  Edward said proudly.

“Mr. Cage,”  Iolanthe tittered, “you do realize…”

Zettie lifted the child away from Iolanthe and turned to look at Mrs. Cage whose cheeks began to flush.

“Yes?”  Edward asked.

“You…”  Iolanthe’s body rocked with laughter.  “You should know…”




Did you miss Chapters 1-492?  If so, you can read them here.  

No comments: