Saturday, January 21, 2012

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 442

Over my dead body!” Cecil bellowed after Mr. Punch and Robert explained that they wanted to make sure that Mrs. Routhe was safe.

“Just hear us out.” Robert began.

“No!” Cecil spat. His loud voice not only attracted the attention of the other members of their party, but also some of the wind-dried men who stood along the docks. “I will not see any member of this family leave here. Mr. Punch, didn’t you and I already discuss this? I thought you understood.”

“I do.” Punch spoke up. “But, I also…”

“Not a chance!” Cecil growled. “Now, you listen to me, if I have to bind the two of you to that post there I will do it! No one is going anywhere!”

“Cecil’s correct,” Adrienne interrupted, walking over with Fuller in her arms.

“But, Mrs. Routhe…” Punch started.

“She’ll be jus’ fine.” Marjani said, joining the group.

“You of all people should want to see that for yourself, you should.” Punch’s eyes widened.

“Sir,” Marjani shook her head. “Mama done been good to me always. But, she’d be the first one to tell ya that you gotta look after your own family first. Now, I know her. She’s a strong woman. Ain’t nothin’ gonna keep her down—not even Marie Laveau.”

“You saw what she did to Gerry,” Punch said quickly. “Don’t you think she’d do the same or worse to Mrs. Routhe?”

“I don’t.” Marjani replied. “See, Mama’s like me. Marie may want to do her harm, but she knows she can’t—not really.”

“There now,” Cecil grunted. “That’s the end of this discussion.” He narrowed his eyes. “We will not speak of it again. I won’t hear it. I will hear no more talk of Marie Laveau, Iolanthe Evangeline, voodoo or any other thing which might keep us from taking these children aboard that ship and leaving this horrible place behind!”

Robert and Mr. Punch exchanged glances.

“Do you understand?” Cecil demanded.

“Sure I do.” Punch nodded slowly. “Only, you oughn’t talk to me like that. Me nor me chum here—your brother.”

“I don’t do it out of cruelty.” Cecil answered quietly.

“I know. Only he’s your brother and you ought to be more gentle, you ought. And me, well, I know I ain’t really your brother, but you hadn’t ought to shout at me if not just because I’m your friend, but because I’m a Duke and no matter how close we are, I’m still your better.”

Punch fluttered his eyes and stepped backward, confused at what he had just said.

“Here, I didn’t mean that. I ain’t no better than no one else. Don’t know why I said it.”

“It’s true, Your Grace.” Cecil nodded, genuinely apologetic. “My Lord Duke, I am terribly sorry to have spoken to you that way. I should not have taken advantage of our intimacy in such a manner that it would have allowed me to be so disrespectful.”

“No, no.” Punch waved his hands wildly. “Forget I said it. Don’t know what I was thinkin’, I don’t.”

“Forgive me, Your Grace.” Cecil nodded again.

“I ain’t nobody’s grace.” Punch shook his head. “I’m Mr. Punch, I am. Just ‘Old Red Nose’—yer chum.”

“Whether you like it or not,” Cecil said thoughtfully, “the longer you live in this body, the more like a Duke you become.”

Robert squinted at the thought and studied Mr. Punch who caught him looking.

“I’m Mr. Punch.” Punch squawked.

“Regardless of the way you speak,” Cecil smiled. “You’re the Duke of Fallbridge. And, I am honored to call you my friend.”

“Here, you was just lookin’ out for all of us.” Punch muttered, confused.

“Will you all pardon us for a moment?” Robert asked. “I should like to speak to Mr. Punch for a moment.”

“Certainly,” Adrienne nodded as she, Cecil and Marjani returned to the rest of their party.

“That were odd, it were.” Punch shook his head when he was alone with Robert. “I didn’t mean to hurt Cecil’s feelin’s. I don’t think I’m better than anyone else.”

“It doesn’t change the fact that you’re the Duke of Fallbridge.” Robert whispered.

“I ain’t!” Punch argued. “That’s me master what I protect.”

“Is he?” Robert answered, still whispering. “I’ve noticed that the longer we go, the more like Julian you become. Maybe not in manner or in action, but in thought and deed. Who is the master now, Mr. Punch?”

“I dunno.” Punch answered nervously.

“Where is Julian?” Robert continued.

“Same place he always is.” Punch replied, thumping his chest.

“There will come a point when we must…” He paused.

“What?”

“We’re going back to England. There, you are known. The face and body that stands in front of me are those of the Duke of Fallbridge. You must be prepared, Mr. Punch. If Julian never returns to the surface, you must be prepared to be the Duke of Fallbridge.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-441? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, January 23, 2011 for Chapter 443 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: