Monday, October 3, 2011

Treat of the week: Scrumptious Rugelach and Strawberry Lemonade Ice Cream

Rugelach are traditional Jewish crescent-shaped pastries. The Yiddish name has been translated in various ways to mean, “Little Twists” or “Little Corners” while some contend that the name comes from the Hebrew word, “Rugel” meaning “Royal.” Regardless of the translation of the name, one thing is certain, they are delicious—tender and moist with just enough sugar and spice.

My mother made two batches of rugelach this weekend. We’re not Jewish, but having originally come from the Northeastern U.S., we have an appreciation for the Jewish pastries which we have a hard time finding in the South. My mother’s recipe begins with a cream cheese dough which is rolled into the traditional crescent shape.

One batch is filled with currants, walnuts and apricot jam along with the usual brown sugar and cinnamon. This is the more traditional rugelach. However, just to keep things exciting, my mother made a second batch filled with mini chocolate chips, pecans and seedless raspberry jam. Both are wonderful—soft and spicy with the perfect amount of crunch and chew from the fillings.

Along with the rugelach, we were treated to homemade ice cream. This week’s ice cream was a new recipe for all of us, and one which I hope we’ll be having again soon. This Strawberry Lemonade ice cream is made with heavy cream, sugar, lemon zest, egg yolks, lemon juice and Limoncello. Fresh strawberries were cut into pieces and coated with vanilla sugar, then quickly doused with vodka to prevent them from freezing solid in the ice cream.

Lemon and strawberry are always a brilliant combination of flavors, but then, when eaten with the tender, rugelach, all of the tastes blended perfectly. Served with a nice cup of tea, this makes for the perfect dessert to transition from summer to autumn.








11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh so beautiful!!! Mazel tov!!!

Matt said...

I never had rugelach until I came to New York when a Jewish friend shared some with me. I love them. I think I gained a pound looking at those pictures.

Fran said...

Oh my God, that is perfection on a plate. They are one of my all time favorite things ya know. I gotta tell ya that it does my heart good to see when people try new things. This just makes me so happy! And so hungry 2!!!! Hugs and kisses xoxoxo!!!!!!!!

Gene said...

Like the new comments page but I like the look of these more. My mother in law rest her soul made these rugulah for after dinner with coffee all the time and I remember them being so softt and nice. Hers looked just like these. My son loves them. Wish my wife could bake.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're a doll, Carolyn!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thankfully, Matt, you only gained a virtual pound which is not nearly as much fun, Thank you for commenting!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Fran, it's aiways so good to see you! You're the best!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you for sharing, Gene.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I agree, anonymous.

Book Gurl said...

I found a recipe and will try these. I likebthe chips and raspberry idea.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Great, Book Gurl!