Friday, June 10, 2011

Object of the Day: Museum Edition: An Antique Papier Mache Spectacle Case, 1850

Spectacle Case
Papier Mache and Mother-of-Pearl
1850-1875
The Victoria & Albert Museum
Last September when I posted an article about the Victorian Papier Mache spectacle case that is part of my collection of antique Papier Mache items, I was amused to learn that one of Stalking the Belle Epoque’s friends has an identical specimen in his collection. With its mother-of-pearl inlay set against ebonized Papier Mache, it’s one of several kinds of similar cases which were produced from 1850-1875.


I’ve recently learned that there’s an almost identical spectacle case in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum. The V&A acquired their case in 1875 as part of the “Animal Products” collection which was started at the suggestion of Prince Albert who enjoyed making things out of animals.

As I pointed out yesterday, it’s always fun to see examples of items from your own collections in museums. It doesn’t change the way you feel about your own objects, but makes you realize that there are other people who also enjoy them.


My Spectacle Case

No comments: