Saturday, September 18, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 48

That’s where I am!” Punch pointed wildly to the sugar cane which stood like emaciated ghosts in the fading light of the sun.


Robert looked out of the small window of the carriage.

“Stop this thing!” Punch cried. “I’ve got to find me-self!”

“We can’t, Punch, old man.” Robert shook his head. “Not presently.”

“I’m there!” Punch moaned.

“I believe you.” Robert said gently. “However, we musn’t act rashly. You saw how well that worked with Iolanthe Evangeline. We must approach all of these situations with caution. That is the only way we’ll have success.”

“No.” Punch shook Julian’s head. “That’s not the way to do it. We must attack quickly and unexpectedly.”

“Don’t you trust me?” Robert asked.

Punch grimaced.

“Well?”

“I ‘spect I do.” Punch muttered. “You do seem to be looking out for me and me master.” He smiled. “You’re me chum.”

“Very well, then. Please know that it is my aim to find you. I know you’re lost in the sugar cane, but you must let me plan this carefully. It wouldn’t do to have us just charge into that plantation. The people here are not ones to take kindly to random intruders.”

“What should I do, then?” Punch asked.

“I suggest you rest. Let Lord Julian come back out for awhile. He and I will make sure that we find you.”

“Can’t do it.” Punch shook Julian’s head. “Master can’t cope with all this. New places, new smells, new people. It’s all too strange for him. ‘Sides, that woman—that Nanny. She’s there. Right over there in that house. I don’t want him havin’ to deal with her. It’d be better to let me.”

“I realize that His Lordship will be overwhelmed by all of this, however, the only way for him to get his strength is to let him be exposed to it.”

“Can’t.” Punch repeated.

“So, you, too, are protecting him?”

“What do you think I been doin’, Chum? Why do you think I’m in here in the first place?” Punch asked.

“Yes, I suppose that you have been.” Robert nodded. “Now, I hope you’ll allow me to protect both of you.”

“I guess we all will let you.” Punch replied after a moment.

“All?” Robert raised an eyebow, coughing for a moment.

“Me and me master.” Punch nodded.

“Fine, then.” Robert smiled. “Here we are at my brother’s.” He pointed out the oval-shaped window to a rambling yellow clapboard house with intricate gingerbread the color of clotted cream.

“’S a nice house.” Punch grinned. “Reminds me of the seaside.”

“Funny.” Robert smiled. “That’s what Cecil said.”

As the carriage stopped in front of the gate to the house, a portly man bounded from the front porch with his arms wide open. His face was Robert’s, but his body was that of a man who lived life with abandon and gusto.

Robert climbed out of the carriage and embraced his brother.

“Cecil!” Robert laughed. “You’ve gotten round.”

“And rounder still, I’ll be!” Cecil laughed a deep, clear, joyful laugh.

A woman fluttered out of the house and down the path to the carriage. She extended her hands to Robert. He kissed one of them. “Adrienne, you look so well. You’re positively aglow.”

“It’s the joy of motherhood.” Adrienne beamed. She spoke with a thick French accent. “Oh, but you must see the little one. He is the most beautiful baby.”

“I have no doubt, if he takes after his mother.” Robert said.

“Here now,” Cecil grinned. “He’s got my eyes, you know.”

“Poor child,” Robert teased.

“And who is this?” Adrienne said sweetly as Punch/Julian descended from the carriage. “Is this the Lord Fallbridge you wrote to us about?”

“This is.” Robert said.

Adrienne smiled at Punch. “So, which one are you, then? Are you His Lordship or are you Mr. Punch?”

Punch frowned. “You told them?”

“When I sent word that I was bringing you, yes, I did explain our situation.” Robert answered honestly.

“No matter who you are, you are welcome in our home.” Cecil smiled—a gentle smile much like Robert’s.

“I’m Punch.” Punch answered, feeling at ease. “That one up there getting the bags is Naasir. He’s our chum, too.”

“He’s also Lord Julian’s valet.” Robert added.

“Welcome to all of you.” Cecil said heartily. “I’ve had the best rooms readied for you and Cook has created one of her finest masterpieces in honor of your arrival!”

“Good,” Punch pulled Julian’s lips back into a grin. “I’m hungry. I don’t know how you humans stand all the things your bodies need. Always wantin’ something. Such a distraction, it is.”

Adrienne giggled. “Yes, Mr. Punch, I suppose that is true.”

She took Mr. Punch by the arm and led him up the path. “You will be comfortable here.”

Followed by Naasir, they walked into the house. The walls were the same buttery yellow as the exterior—capped by gently curved moldings. White pedestals lined the front hallway—topped by expertly carved busts.

Punch walked over to one of the busts and tapped it with Julian’s finger. “Hullo.” He said to it. “You don’t know how lucky you are—havin’ nothin’ in your head. Never did have nothin’ in there, did ya? It’s no good when you got somethin’ and then it goes away.”

Cecil glanced at Robert who smiled weakly and shrugged.

From the floor above, they heard the cry of a baby.

“Ah, our young master is awake and ready to see his uncle.” Cecil said happily.

“What’s that?” Punch asked. “Is that a baby?”

“Yes, our son!” Cecil replied cheerfully, “We call him ‘Fuller.’”

“Don’t like babies.” Punch frowned.

The smiles faded from Adrienne’s and Cecil’s faces.

“Cursed lot of trouble, babies are.” Punch continued.

“Robert…” Cecil began.

Robert looked nervous. “I think Mr. Punch hasn’t had much experience with real babies. I’m sure he’ll find Fuller enchanting.”

“But, Robert. This man—as he is—does he behave exactly as Mr. Punch? You know? We’ve all seen how the puppet treats his baby.”

“Our Mr. Punch is very much like the Mr. Punch we know from the outdoor shows, yes.” Robert said slowly. “Only this one has human reason as well.”

“Don’t talk about me like I’m not standin’ here in the room.” Punch frowned. “What’s this? Do you think I’m gonna do somethin’ to your baby?”

Cecil shifted his weight uncomfortably.

“Do ya?” Punch demanded.



Did you miss Chapters 1-47? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Chapter 49.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

What good luck that they've found such kind people to be with. Although, I have to say I'd be a bit apprehensive, too, about the baby. The adventurers have more challenges to focus on than the baby. And for all his exuberance and questionable reasoning, there does seem to be a sense of justice and honor about him.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, Mr. Punch does have more of a sense of balance than his glove puppet counterparts, Dashwood. However, Cecil and Adrienne are right to be a bit cautious. Thanks for commenting!

Darcy said...

I'd like to think there's enough of Lord Julian in Mr. Punch to keep him from treating a human baby the way he'd treat a puppet baby but just the same I'd think it best that Cecil and Adrienne never ask him to babysit.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Too funny, Darcy. No Punch would not make be able to get membership in the babysitters' club.