Monday, September 13, 2010

Object of the Day: A Dutch Landscape, 1810

This rather large Dutch landscape painting dates to 1810. It is signed “A.J. v. G.” next to the date “in Januari, 1810.” I confess I have no idea who the artist is though I’ve done a fair amount of research.


The painting is, however, clearly Dutch in origin. A typical Dutch color palette of icy blues and pine greens, the scene depicts a man loading a small boat which has been dragged to shore next to a stone dam. Dutch painting often devoted huge amounts of canvas space to contrasting the sky against both natural features and man-made structures. Here, the wildness of the trees is an interesting counterpoint to the still sky, and, even more so, a vivid contrast to the rigidity of the stone wall.

Despite its unknown artist, I’m terribly fond of this painting. I find it to be very serene and calming. A sense of something peaceful is often lacking in our daily lives. I feel that the Dutch had the right idea with their artwork as many artists from the Netherlands yearned to achieve the utmost in tranquility and beauty with their work.

No comments: