Thursday, September 16, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 46

Robert held up his hand to indicate to Punch that he needed to be silent. He turned to Iolanthe Evangeline and shook his head. “I don’t understand. How is Naasir a threat to you?”


“You’re tellin’ me that you don’t know?” Iolanthe chuckled.

“He’s simply a valet. He has no power whatsoever.”

“You really believe that?’ Iolanthe asked.

“I do.” Robert nodeed.

“Tell me, where did you find the man?” Iolanthe asked.

“We met on the ship on our passage from England. He was traveling to Louisiana to see his brother in Marionneaux. Lord Fallbridge required a new valet, and Naasir had experience working in such a capacity in Egypt for an Englishman—an archaeologist acquaintance of Lord Fallbridge’s father. His references were quite good. And, so, Lord Fallbridge offered Naasir the position. He’s a gentle soul who seems to want only to serve well.”

“Serve what?” Iolanthe hissed. “How does his serve his master? With his magic?”

“He’s harmless. Like many of the people around here, he believes in folk magic. From what I understand you subscribe to a similar school of thought.”

“I make my own magic.” Iolanthe barked. “And, I won’t have some African interferin’ with it!”

“The only powers that Naasir possesses are a false belief in superstition. I am a man of science. I don’t take much stock in these things.” Robert argued.

“You’ll be able to find a new servant for your Lord Fallbridge easily enough at the docks. This one stays with me.” Iolanthe growled.

“I realize that the laws are different here. However, in our country, we do not believe that human beings are objects that can be bought and sold. Naasir is a man—a living, human man—and, no matter his lot in life, he deserved to be treated with dignity and respect. I cannot believe that you would harm a man for what he believes—especially when he believes the same things that you do.”

“That’s the way to do it!” Punch shouted happily. “Put her in her place!”

“Please, let me handle it.” Robert said quickly.

“I owe you no explanation, Doctor.” Iolanthe spat. “Here—in this house—I am the sole authority. That man is a danger to me and I don’t want you thinkin’ that he’s not. He must be removed!”

“Then allow me to remove him.” Robert said firmly.

“And have him out there in the Quarter where his influence can do me harm?” Iolanthe laughed. “Listen, ‘man of science,’ that won’t do.”

“What if we were to take him away?” Robert asked. “We will take him to Marionneaux to his family. Wouldn’t the distance protect you from whatever influence you believe he has?”

Iolanthe Evangeline narrowed her dark eyes. “I would need assurance that he won’t be back.”

“I can offer you that assurance.”

“And what about the mad Lord?” She pointed a thumb toward Julian/Punch. “Will you leave him in Marionneaux, too?”

“I aint’ leaving without what I came for!” Punch shouted.

“Yes.” Robert spoke over Punch. “I will see to it that neither Lord Julian nor his man returns to New Orleans.”

“And, if you don’t?” Iolanthe smiled.

“I shall suffer the consequences.”

Iolanthe clapped her hands. “Boys!”

Her two men arrived within seconds from a door hidden by flowing silk drapery of purple.

“Bring the African to the courtyard!”

“But, Miss Evangeline…”

“Do as I say!” Iolanthe shouted.

The two men retreated.

“Tomorrow morning, I will send my men to the place where you’re stayin’. If they find that you’re not preparing to leave for Marionneaux you shall indeed suffer the consequences. I don’t want any more blood on my hands than is necessary. But, I shall do it if I have to.”

“You’ll find us gone tomorrow.” Robert said.

“Here, chum!” Punch protested. “We can’t! What will I do without what’s been taken from me? And, he needs his sister! The Duchess will not like that at all!”

“You must trust me, Sir.” Robert said softly. “Clearly, Miss Evangeline is more of a force than we reckoned.”

“You must never underestimate me, Doctor.” Iolanthe grinned. “Never.”

“I shan’t.” Robert bowed. “I am your servant.”

“What’s this now?” Punch cried.

“Take your companion to the courtyard, collect your man and leave my house.” Iolanthe said in a deep, menacing voice. “Before I change my mind.”

“Come along, Sir.” Robert said to Punch. “Good evening, Miss Evangeline.”

“Chum?” Punch protested.

“Come along,” Robert repeated.

Punch let Julian’s shoulders sag in defeat.

“Please,” Robert whispered.

Punch did as he was instructed and followed Robert from the room.

“You betrayed us.” Punch said softly as they walked down the stairs.

“I did no such thing.” Robert smiled. “Quite the opposite. Would you have Naasir killed? Would you put Julian in danger?”

“Not ‘less I had to.” Punch said.

“Well, you don’t have to.” Robert answered. “You must trust me.”

They arrived in the courtyard to find Naasir waiting for them.

“I knew you would come.” Naasir smiled.

“We must hurry out of here, men.” Robert said quickly, bundling his coat around his chin to brace himself for the cold rain.

“We’re going back to Royal Street, Sir?” Naasir asked.

“Only briefly.” Robert nodded. “Then, we’re off to Marionneaux.”

“Truly, Sir?” Naasir asked.

“I believe that the answers we seek are there.” Robert smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-45? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

That was a close one. Robert seems to have a calming effect on Punch. He got him and Nassir out of harms way without too much of a tussle. Next on to Marionneaux, I'm sure there's going to be alot to discover there.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Marionneaux is going to offer a whole new world of strangeness to our travelers. Hopefully, Robert is correct, and they will find what they seek near the bayou. Thanks for reading, Darcy!

Dashwood said...

Hooray for Robert! I'm trusting him totally now! Now the three boys can go off and find other answers to the three riddles of Punch, Barbara and the death of Julian's dad.

Very exciting!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, Robert has shown that he's a good guy. He certainly puts up with enough grief. Doesn't he? Good to see you, Dashwood!