Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 45

Me chum!” Punch shouted happily as Robert entered Iolanthe Evangeline’s room. “Hullo, chum!”


“Good evening.” Robert smiled, shivering from the cold rain. He coughed.

“Look, Ogress,” Punch grinned. “It’s me chum.”

“What did you just call me?” Iolanthe hissed.

“Miss Evangeline,” Robert said quickly, “Clearly, Lord Fallbridge is ill. He’s confused and disoriented. Please allow me to take him home so that I might give him the care that he needs.”

“I ain’t confused!” Punch laughed.

“You are, Lord Julian.” Robert said sternly. “Julian…”

“Oh, that’s right.” Punch nodded. “I am Lord Julian.”

“Whatever is the matter with him?” Iolanthe asked the doctor. “He’s quite a lunatic, isn’t he?”

“Here!” Punch shouted.

“Do keep still, Lord Julian.” Robert said calmly. His voice was thick with gravel.

“He pulled a knife on me, you know.” Iolanthe continued.

“Did he?” Robert narrowed his eyes at Punch.

“I did.” Punch smiled. “I’d a gotten her, too, had she not got her men on me.”

Robert sighed.

“As you can see,” Robert began, “Lord Fallbridge is not in his right mind.”

“I can see that, yes.” Iolanthe growled.

“He’s been very upset by his father’s death and his sister’s disappearance.”

“His father’s death?” Iolanthe’s eyes widened. “I wasn’t told about that.”

“He was murdered near Paris some weeks ago.” Robert explained.

Iolanthe looked toward “Julian.”

“Killed our father, they did.” Punch nodded.

The ogress’ face hardened. “Still, that’s no cause for the man to come here wielding a knife. I don’t want you thinkin’ it is.”

“No.” Robert shook his head. “It is not.” He darted his eyes toward Julian. “Miss Evangeline, Lord Fallbridge is under my care. I’ll take him with me presently, and he will not return.”

“Here, I came to get his sister and what’s been taken from me.” Punch grumbled. “Only she says she don’t know what that is.”

“That’ll be enough for now, Julian.” Robert emphasized Julian’s name.

“This is New Orleans, sir.” Iolanthe laughed. “Your friend may be somebody in England, but he isn’t in England anymore. Here, he’s subject to the same laws as every other man. And, here, a man that draws a knife on a woman is punished.”

“Shall we send for the authorities, then?” Robert asked pointedly.

“I’m the only authority that matters in this house.” Iolanthe smiled coquettishly. “I’m judge, jury and executioner.”

“Even in this dubious court, a man has a right to trial. Isn’t that one of the foundations of your country?”

“He done had his trial.” Iolanthe laughed. “Listen, Doctor, you know what a fair judge I am. Just ask your brother’s wife.”

Robert coughed.

“Oh, yes, Dr. Halifax. I know who you are. I know all about you and your family. Quite the hero your Cecil is. Swoopin’ in and takin’ one of my best girls.”

“Presently, my only concern is for the welfare of a sick man.” Robert said plainly. “Now, I will take Lord Fallbridge and his man with me.”

“You can have your ‘Lord’ though I don’t know why I should let him go.” She glared at “Julian.” “You and I have further business, Mr. Molliner. It suits me that you remain alive.”

“I’ll fight you right now.” Punch shouted.

“Mr. Punch!” Robert said firmly.

“What’d you call him?” Iolanthe narrowed her eyes.

“It’s of no importance. Just a pet name. A joke between friends.”

“He’s me chum.” Punch grinned.

“Take him out of my sight!” Iolanthe raised her hands in disgust.

“We’ll just collect his man, Naasir, and be on our way.” Robert said quickly. “Thank you.”

“No.” The Elegant Ogress shook her head. “The African stays here.”

“I ain’t leavin’ without the other one.” Punch said wildly.

“I can’t let you take him.” Iolanthe replied fiercely. “He’s too much of a threat.”

“Naasir?” Robert questioned her. “He wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

“He would.” Iolanthe purred. “And, he has. Only this time, he’s the fly, and I aim to pull off his wings.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-44? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

I hope Nassir is safe. He seems quite sure of his destiny. Is his magic stronger than Evangeline's? Mr Punch, Robert and Julian need his help in this journey to beat the devil.

Dashwood said...

It would seem that Naasir will be able to take care of himself and that Robert is best guided to take Julian/Punch far away and quickly. Naasir, it would seem, has something of the Ruby Slippers about him.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Darcy! You're right. They DO need Naasir! Iolanthe certainly seems to fear him, so, perhaps his power is greater than hers. Thanks for reading!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Dashwood. Good to see you! That's an interesting comment. Naasir does seem to have a "Good Witch of the North" thing going on. LOL.