Monday, March 11, 2013

Treat of the Week: A Rustic Feast




This weekend, my mother treated Bertie and me to a really exceptional feast of savory, tender roast chicken breasts in a rich, creamy sauce of leeks and mushrooms.  Delicate pasta shells dressed with cream, fresh herbs and sun-dried tomatoes were an ideal side along with fresh broccolini and a whole grain bread.







But, as always the star of the show was the dessert--one of my favorite cookies--ciamelli.



For centuries, Italians have enjoyed this simple, spongy cookies of eggs, sugar and flour. The ancient Romans made them with honey, and today, several varieties of the recipe exist. However, at their heart, they are merely tender, sweet pillows of only the purest ingredients.

These cookies have had several different names. We call them “ciamelli.” I’m sure there are other spellings for that, including, “ciarmelli.” Others call them strombigus. Other names still exist for these comforting treats. These are the result of generations of different families adapting their own recipes.  My mother's secret is using "vanilla" sugar--sugar that has been stored with vanilla beans in it, infusing the grains with extra flavor.

This weekend, we enjoyed these delicious elegant cookies with  homemade chocolate pudding, topped with freshly-whipped cream and luscious berries.  Good times!




13 comments:

Matt said...

From start to finsh.........just beautiful!!

April said...

Too bad your mom doesn't cater. In California.

Gene said...

I wish I could put my fork through the screen.

Sam P said...

I would skip lunch today. Send me cookies!!!!!!

Barb said...

Ohhhhhh...that all looks so good. Craft service on this shoot is garbage. Can I just come in to Texas for a few hours and have your mom feed me while I thank her over and over again?

Mark said...

Smashin!!

Beth Ann said...

I decided I would try to make whatever your mom made for dinner for my family tonight. I will try something like this chicken. Mine won't look as good, but, I'm going to try!

Carolyn said...

Barb...wait for me! Let me run over those hills and we'll go together. That all looks so yumsy!!!!!! It would be worth last minute plane fare.

Angelo said...

Oh ya, that's my stomach growling. Awesome.

Book Gurl said...

Beautiful! Beautiful dishes too!

Kathy said...

YUMMMMMMM! I love those cookies! It's all gorgeous!!!!!

Renee said...

My husband makes those cookies and they're really very good and lo calories too.

Doug said...

Really nice!