Monday, December 16, 2013

A Recipe for Punch, Chapter 29





Chapter 29
This Power


After Mr. Punch had left the nursery suite, Gerard made sure that both doors were locked and picked up Dog Toby, sitting down on the floor by the fire next to the rocking chair where Gamilla slowly creaked her anxiety.

"I don't like the idea of His Grace going through that dark passage all by himself with whatever that is out there.  Only...I can't leave you...not with our child in ya, and little Master Colin here."  Gerard shook his head.  "Wish there was some way we could get word to Charles and Georgie.  I thought it queer that Mr. Jackson put our folk on the other side o' the house.  Seemed like a nice gesture at first, but, hit me wrong, it did.  Now, I know he done it to keep His Grace's help away from 'im."

Gamilla nodded.

"Love?  Are you feelin' all right?"

"I knew something wicked was in this house."  Gamilla shook her head.  "I done knew it all along.  Thought it was just the spirit of His Grace's mother.  Part of it is, for sure.  But, there's more."

"You been seein' things again, then, have ya?"  Gerard asked.

"More and more, Gerry."  Gamilla nodded.  "More than ever I have before."

Gerard inhaled.  "I always heard that a woman feels things more when she's with child.  I s'pose, it's the same with...whatever you call your...gift."

"I shoulda acted on it.  I shoulda warned His Grace and His Lordship."  Gamilla sighed.  

"You did, Love.  You said you went and got 'im when he was off in them rooms alone.  You told me you went and got him and asked for him to go back to His Lordship."  Gerard said.

Gamilla nodded.  She closed her eyes.  "He's back with Miss Lennie and Lord Colinshire now."

"You're sure?"  Gerard raised his eyebrows.

"I am."

Gerard scratched Dog Toby's ears.  "Well, that's a relief!  Only, that...whatever it is...she's still roamin' 'bout the house?"

"She is."

"Do ya know what she is?"

"Not sure.  I can't see her clear, honey."  Gamilla shook her head.  "There's like...like a smoke around her.  When I shut my eyes, I can see the Duke, I can see Miss Lennie, I can see Lord Colinshire.  They're talkin', angry-like to Mr. Jackson.  There's like a fog 'round him, too.  And, this...this woman...I can't see her good."

"Is she a woman?"

"Yes."  Gamilla replied.  "But, she's been hurt, hurt bad."

"Is she dangerous?"

"Yes."

"So, she's a part of the evil in the house."  Gerard clenched his fist.

"That, I don't know, honey."  Gamilla shook her head.  "Could well be she's just wild.  Is a...bear evil if it attacks?  Or a lion?  Maybe they just don't know better."

Gerard thought about that.  "Was a time I didn't know better."  He looked up at Colin who was beginning to stir in his crib.  "If only there was some way to tell...to know what we was facin'."

Gamilla was silent.

"What ya thinkin', Love?"

"There may be a way, Gerry."  

"What do ya figure?"

"Well...I ain't...I ain't done it myself.  I ain't even seen it done since I was a girl...since I was in Africa."

"What is it?"

"Don't know if I can even do it..." Gamilla continued.  "But, the way I been feelin' lately."

"Go on, Love."  

"I hate to even..."

"'Milla, if it's somethin' that'll help to keep the masters and us and our friends safe, then, we oughta try it."

"Honey, it's voodoo.  I done left all that behind when I came to this country.  I left all that in New Orleans."

"Darlin', it's part of you."  Gerard shook his head.  "You can't leave it behind no more than I can leave Australia behind.  Think 'bout what you're seein' behind your eyes.  It's in ya, Gamilla, this power.  Ain't no good in denyin' it.  'Specially if it'll do us all good."

"It's a...a fine balance, Gerry.  A little good always coughs up a little bad."

"What 'ave we got without it?"  Gerard shrugged.

"I think we got what we need right in here--most of it, anyway."  Gamilla nodded after awhile.  

"Just tell me what to get, Love."  Gerard stood up.


Did you miss Chapters 1-28 of A Recipe for Punch?  If so, you can read them here.  Come back tomorrow for Chapter 30.  





No comments: