Monday, July 30, 2012

Treat of the Week: More than a Mere Trifle





This Sunday’s meal was a delicious summer frittata bursting with the flavors of fresh herbs and vegetables nestled in a delicate bed of egg and cheese. Accompanied by pancetta, and a beautiful salad of garden greens, summertime fruits, assorted nuts and rich blue cheese, it was the perfect meal for a blisteringly hot day. 

The crown jewel, however, was the dessert—an elegant and beautiful trifle. Look at it! It’s magnificent! You see, when my mother made Bertie’s birthday cake this year, she saved the remaining pieces of cake which were left after she carved the hippo shape. These pieces emerged from the freezer, ready for a new life, and became the base for this gorgeous trifle. Layered with pastry crème, peaches (seasoned with cinnamon) a sauce of raspberries and brandy, crème de cassis, strawberries, Bing and Rainier cherries and whipped cream, the top of this deeply delicious dessert is adorned with raspberries, blueberries and piped rosettes of whipped cream.

I’ve had many a trifle in my day, but, I must say, this is one of the best. With each bit, you get a different combination of flavors—each fresh and independent, but each a perfect companion to the others. You, too, can treat yourself to a trifle by using piece of cake which you’ve already made (or bought from a store) and layering them in a large bowl, trifle dish, or individual cups, with your favorite fruits, jams and creams.









14 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow! That's yummsy! I think it's the most beautiful trifle I've ever seen.

April said...

I can't get over how pretty it is.

Matt said...

Bertie's cake is the gift that keeps on giving!!!

Gene said...

Wow is right! I bet it's great.

Bonnie said...

One of my favourite desserts. Enjoyed the reference in Mr Punch's story today too.

Book Gurl said...

It's perfection!

Angelo said...

Awesome!

Barb said...

Oh that looks so good.

Mark said...

Smashing!

Sam P said...

I want the fritata too. I want all of it come to think ofit.

Barb said...

I forgot to mention that I did plaid icing Decorations with string and it turned out nice. Doesn't look as crisp as the cake you put up from your mom but if I practice I'll be as good one day. Guests were impressed so told them were I got the idea.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Great, Barb! I'm glad!

Kathy said...

I want some of that!

Marsha said...

Oh my. Very pretty!!!