Friday, March 25, 2011

Object of the Day: A Vintage New Haven Miniature Tambour Clock

The New Haven Clock Company was founded in 1853 by Hiram Camp, a longtime clock-maker. The company produced a good many of American’s clocks for decades. They specialized in simple wooden case clocks. No doubt, many an American home kept its pace by a New Haven clock.


In the 1920’s, the New Haven Clock Company began producing what they called, “novelty clocks.” These were scaled-down versions of their full-size timepieces which were quickly embraced by the public for the miniature size and portability. These clocks featured a “wind-up” mechanism with a built-in key.

This miniaturized tambour clock with its characteristic “humpback” shape features a deep, wooden case and a paper face which is marked, “New Haven U.S.A.” I would place this clock as having been made in the 1930’s.

I’ve had this clock since I was a child. It was in my room when I was growing up and I brought it with me later in life. It doesn’t work anymore, but it’s terribly cute and still looks quite handsome.

No comments: