Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 148

Ulrika Rittenhouse grumbled as she paced back and forth in front of a scene of Christ on the cross. Arthur sat at Christ’s wax feet, his back resting against the wood of the cross. He’d long since taken off the mask that Ulrika had given him and he fiddled with it in his lap as he watched her furious pacing.


“Are you listening?” Ulrika growled.

“’Course I am,” Arthur nodded. “You’re talkin’ ‘bout getting’ the diamond back from that Iolanthe Evangeline.”

“And, do you have anything to add?” Ulrika narrowed her eyes.

“You’re the one with all the ideas,” Arthur sighed.

“A lot of good you are.” Ulrika snarled.

“Well, what would you have me do?” Arthur snapped. “Now that Nellie’s gone back to Iolanthe’s, we ain’t got no help.”

“No.” Ulrika frowned. “And, I don’t suppose we can count on your precious wife.”

“You leave Barbara out of this.” Arthur said forcefully.

“I intend to make sure that Barbara stays out of this.” Ulrika grunted. She paused, listening to the faint roar which echoed through the museum’s corridor.

“What goes on out there?” Ulrika asked. “That doesn’t sound like a ball, it sounds like an angry mob.”

“Dunno.” Arthur shrugged.

“Put your mask on,” Ulrika wagged her finger at Arthur. “Go see what’s happening.”

“Orders, orders…” Arthur grumbled, doing as instructed.

“That’s right,” Ulrika laughed. “Now, hurry.”

Arthur wandered off down the corridor, following the sound of the ruckus. He slowly approached the entrance to the ballroom and was surprised to see the crowd shouting at a woman on the raised platform.

At first, Arthur couldn’t tell who it was, but he immediately recognized Julian/Punch, Cecil, Adrienne and Robert. Very quickly, Arthur realized that the crowd was screaming at Iolanthe Evangeline who was shouting back at them.

“How fast all of you have turned on me!” Iolanthe hollered. “Considering how well I know most of you gentlemen! You there! Mr. Bienville! Does your wife know how you spend her money? You! Mr. Hollister! Perhaps your devoted missus would like to know what you say about her when you lie in my arms! You’re all hypocrites!”

Cecil shouted over her, “Help us. I implore you! See that this woman is brought to justice!”

Several of the men in the audience came forward. As they were about to climb onto the platform, Iolanthe spun around. As part of her St. Joan costume, she wore what appeared to be a prop dagger. But, in fact, the dagger was not false. She quickly pulled the gleaming blade from its sheath and, with the other arm grabbed Adrienne, pulling the woman close to her.

“No one move,” Iolanthe shouted. “Or you’ll find yourself bathed in this woman’s blood.”

Iolanthe held the dagger to Adrienne’s throat.

“No!” Mr. Punch shouted. “Let her go! Kill me instead!”

Robert put his arm around Mr. Punch. “Quiet, dear man.”

“Let my wife go!” Cecil demanded.

“If any of you comes any nearer to me, I’ll slice her throat.” Iolanthe hissed. “So, you all think you’ve outsmarted me? What is it that you want? A confession? Yes, I’ve done all of the things of which you’ve accused me this night! I’ve done many more things than that, and I’ll do more still! I don’t want you thinkin’ that I won’t. I’m exactly what you say I am. And, what’s more, I’m proud of it! But, the only justice that will come right now is my own justice! You see, the world is mine!”

Adrienne struggled to get away, but Iolanthe held on tight.

Arthur—who had been watching the whole scene—smiled and hurried back to tell Ulrika what he’d seen.

“No more,” Mr. Punch muttered to himself. “No more suffering.”

“Steady on.” Robert whispered. “We can manage this.”

“No!” Mr. Punch said. “It’s time for this to end…” With that, he lunged forward toward Iolanthe who raised her dagger to Adrienne’s throat.

“You stupid lunatic,” Iolanthe laughed as Mr. Punch grabbed for her. “Someone has got to die now—would you prefer that it’s you or this woman?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-147? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Book Gurl said...

There is never a dull moment! Love it!!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Book Gurl!

Darcy said...

Exciting! I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Darcy. Something really unexpected is about to happen!