Monday, September 16, 2013

Treat of the Week: Comfort and Crumb Cake









As the fall weather is rumored to be nigh, our thoughts turn to cozy images.  If you're anything like me, there's nothing cozier than a good, hearty, comforting meal.  I can't think of anything more comforting than the lovely meal my mother made for us this past Sunday.

Meatloaf is truly the epitome of comfort food, especially when joined by a hot, gooey casserole of macaroni and cheese.  Of course, every boy prefers his mother's meatloaf recipe above all others, and I'm not different.  And, this gorgeous macaroni and cheese was baked to perfection with just the right crust and creaminess.  







Of course, my mother, being the chef she is, added a touch of the current to the meal with some kale--the "vegetable of the year."  Sauteed with some garlic cloves, this was a leafy treat.  Homemade biscuits made the meal even better.

Lo these many weeks, I've been craving crumb cake.  And, finally, my wish was granted with this glorious ring of perfection.  Marbled with cinnamon, pecans and miniature chocolate chips, this light, fluffy cake was adorned with the ideal crumb topping.  






Carvings are now satisfied.



13 comments:

April said...

I want to take a nap with the cake and then wake up and eat it.

Carolyn said...

That is all my favorite yumsies!

Angelo said...

Man that looks good!!

Bonnie said...

Mmmmmm...the best.

Gene said...

This is a thousand times better than the dry nugget my wife calls meatloaf. I am again jealous.

Matt said...

Keep a plate warm for me!

Sam P said...

Licking my lips...

Renee said...

Perfect rainy day food. I wish I had some right now. I'd be in heaven and who doesn't love a coffee cake?

Gregg said...

I LOVE macaroni like that!

Beth Ann said...

I wish my macaroni looked that good and golden. I know what I'm trying tonight!

Wendy said...

It all looks delicious!!!

Barb said...

What I wouldn't give for this for dinner!

Doug said...

All my favorites. I even like kale.