Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 385



Chapter 385
First



"You look tired, Chum."  Punch leaned over the table and patted Robert's hand.

"Perhaps,"  Robert smiled thoughtfully, "though I am enjoying watching Gamilla and Gerard."

"They are so sweet.  Aren't they?"  Punch smiled.

"Still, I'm a little envious of Colin having gone up to bed."  Robert nodded, stifling a yawn.

"It has been a long day, it has."  Punch replied.  "Full of lots of feelings from the worst to the best."

"Indeed."  Robert sighed.  

"Gamilla and Gerard'll will have to be leavin' for their weddin' trip in about an hour."  Punch glanced at the tallcase clock across the room.  Then, we'll retire."

"I'm not in a particular hurry to see them leave.  Isn't that selfish>  It's not that I can't dress myself, and I'm sure Ethel can keep the nursery very well on her own for awhile, but..."

"It's not selfish."  Punch answered.  "It's nice, it is.  They're part o' the family, and, it's only right we'll miss 'em while they're gone."

"I imagine we won't have too much time to miss them, I suppose.  After all, we've a trip of our own to plan."

"Yes."  Punch sighed.  "You'll have to help me tomorrow to write to Jackson.  Just to make sure I don't leave out anythin' we might need."

"Dear Punch,"  Robert began.

"It's all right, Chum.  I'm fine with the decision, really, I am.  I wouldn't 'ave suggested it if I didn't think it was a good idea."  Punch shook his head.

"We both know that you decided to take us all to Fallbridge Hall for Lennie's sake."  Robert whispered.  "To not only give her a primer in her family history, but more so to stall for time before Matthew presses her again to set a date for their wedding."

"The poor dear is 'appy with life as it is.  I know she wants to marry Matthew, but I understand she ain't in a hurry."

"Still, you're going to have much on your mind while we're there.  I think it very kind of you to sacrifice that for your sister."  Robert replied.

"There's no use hidin' from it.  I can't stay away from the place forever.  Besides, Colin needs to know his family home, too.  He's already been to Grange Molliner, we owe it to our son to see 'im introduced to Fallbridge Hall.  Besides, if you don't know the place, it is peaceful and it'll give you plenty o' time to think 'bout your book--a book, I might add, what'll 'elp a lot of folk."

"That doesn't take away my worry."  Robert inhaled.

"Now, my dear, is not the night for worry.  This is the night for celebratin' Gerard and Gamilla."

"Do you ever put yourself first?"

"All the time, Chum.  I'm doin' it right now."  



Did you miss Chapters 1-384?  If so, you can read them here.  Come back tomorrow for Chapter 386 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.




No comments: