Friday, August 10, 2012

Mr. Punch's Puzzles: The Riddle of the Week





Once, again, Mr. Punch, with my help, is offering up a true Victorian riddle.  The first person to answer correctly--by posting in the comments--will receive public congratulations.  

So, here's this week's riddle.  We ask that you don't Google the answer.  Mr. Punch would not find that sporting at all.  Give it a shot and see what you can come up with.  Here we go... No cheating...


Four wings I have, which swiftly mount on high,
On sturdy pinions, yet I never fly;
And though my body often moves around,
Upon the self-same spot I'm always found,
And, like a mother, who breaks her infant's bread,
I chew for man before he can be fed.


And the answer is...

A WINDMILL!

Congratulations to Darcy for figuring out the correct answer and many thanks to everyone who answered.  We had some terrific responses today!  Well done!  Come back next Friday for another of Mr. Punch's Puzzles.  



Mr. Punch wants you to always know “the way to do it,” so why not check out our “That’s the way to do it!” products which are available only at our online store.  

28 comments:

April said...

Wilfred Brimley on a flying glitter unicorn.

Joseph Crisalli said...

That presumes that Wilfred himself has wings.

Shawn said...

A pair of brightly colored hummingbirds cruelly attached by the feet and legs to the extravagant hat of a late-Victorian socialite...either that or it really is Wilfred Brimley and his glittery unicorn hawking some oatmeal. Maybe Wilfred is wearing the hat? :)

Joseph Crisalli said...

You present many sensible options, Shawn.

Sam P said...

I think it's two dancing birds.

Joseph Crisalli said...

From a Merry Melodies cartoon,

Carolyn said...

I think it's a giant pair of joke wind-up dentures being carried by two cherubs.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You know, I think that's reasonable.

Gene said...

My mother in law.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Let me guess...she was the model for Wednesday's ceramic whistle?

Matt said...

Gene's mother in law.

Joseph Crisalli said...

That's already been said, Matt.

Angelo said...

A helicopter. That's called a chopper and that's like teeth.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Angelo! Good thinking. Your answer is quite close in concept to the real answer.

Barb said...

Is it a blender?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, no.

Dashwood said...

Two theaters (which have wings) and take care of actors who chew the scenery. But that doesn't make a good answer. Therefore the correct response is two winged super-mandibled sheep. Idiotic sheep.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Those sheep ruin everything.

Darcy said...

Wilford Brimley and Durwood Kirby dueling over Gene's mother in law while riding on giant Heckle and Jeckle flying balloons.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I can picture that! I think it's a beautiful image! Hooray for Darcy!

Book Gurl said...

You guys were too clever for me today. Thanks for the laughs!

Joseph Crisalli said...

We aim to please.

Kathy said...

Is it a fan?

Joseph Crisalli said...

I hope not.

Anonymous said...

I think that it is a very nice ladies hat designed by Prince Albert and decorated with bird wings and the teeth of an animal that got in his way.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Or from a Prime Minister.

Darcy said...

I have another thought. A faint vision of Don Quixote just crossed my mind. Is it a windmill?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yep! Darcy is our winner!