Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Object of the Day, Caption Contest: A Trade Card for Partridge & Richardson's Beehive Stores



Usually, when I have a caption contest for one of my Victorian trade cards, I present you with one that is not printed with any information specific to a business. However, this one is a little different. In fact, it’s different from anything I’ve ever seen on another trade card.

The card advertises for:

PARTRIDGE & RICHARDSON’S 
BEE HIVE STORES 
DRESS TRIMMINGS,

17, 19 & 21 North 8th St., Phila. 


Well, that’s innocent enough. Right?

But, then…look at it.

Look! 

Click on image to enlarge.


Why on Earth would anyone pick this as the image for their company? It’s a boy and a dog—both with severe conjunctivitis, peering out of a window. What’s happening here? What does this have to do with dress trimmings? What was the owner of the company thinking?

You tell me by, as usual, posting in the comments.


15 comments:

Dashwood said...

My mama took us to the Beehive Store to buy buttons. Guess what they have there. Beehives!!! Bucky amd me we went to look into the hives and guess what happened? Those cute little bees bit the living hell out of our little eyeballs, Wuzn't dat cute!!! It's my favorite store!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ha! That explains it! Funny!

April said...

Looks like me and the mister right now. I'm guessing it's an ad for vodka more so than bee hives.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Could be.

Matt said...

All the pollen in the beehive has caused some bad allergies for these two.

Joseph Crisalli said...

LOL. Seems so.

Carolyn said...

One of my coworkers, who shall remain nameless, but you know who I mean, honey, looked like this after her most recent vacation to get some "rest."

Darcy said...

Partridge and Richardson's Beehive Store is located between Little Louie's Baby Bartending School and the Steampunk Ruffle Zone. Our trained bees will sting your little ones" heads into perfect roundness so they will fit in perfectly at both institutions. We stock everything you'll ever need to be a part of genteel society; taxidermy, colossal cutlery, Vicky and Al's Magic Posy Pollen, sheep and much, much more.
Danny Partridge, proprietor.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ah, yes. Sometimes vacations can leave a lot of bruising for awhile.

Joseph Crisalli said...

More brilliance from Darcy who continues to create this cohesive narrative! Well done! And, I think that that would be the sort of establishment that Danny Partridge would have opened after his "I Think I Love You" days were over.

Sam P said...

Edwardian Fight Club?

Book Gurl said...

The poor dog looks like he's cracked.

Joseph Crisalli said...

And on crack.

Marsha said...

Looks more like Bee Sting than Bee Hive,

Joseph Crisalli said...

Very true.