Friday, May 18, 2012

Mastery of Design: A Burmese Double Comb, Late Eighteenth Century


Burmese Double-Sided Comb
Late Nineteenth Century
The Victoria & Albert Museum



Made in Burma around 1875, this double-sided, wooden comb is mounted with gold and inlaid with a trellis-work of un-faceted rubies and emeralds the traditional Burmese style.  Such a comb would have been the stuff  of a Burmese court lady's cosmetic box.  These handy boxes were known as a “bi-it.”  Aside from combs, they usually held, perfumes, a few tresses of hair (to augment a lady’s hair like a wig-let) and thanahka (powder).

This particular comb is believed to be of royal provenance.  The very stringent laws of the Burmese court of Mandalay during the time of the Konbaung Dynasty (1752-1885) restricted the use of precious gemstones to only royalty and courtiers. 



3 comments:

Doni said...

This reminds me of the book(s) I'm reading...One Thousand Nights, and One Arabian Nights. It's just as enthralling as I expected, the imagery is so rich--I did not expect all the S E X though :X! lol Lot's going on under those burkha!

I love the new wallpaper...Did you 'crop' the lady and parrot? Or is it completely different?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Doni, I can see how this comb would remind you of that book, and, yes, it's quite ribald.

I changed the background a few months ago actually. The lady and the parrot are cropped from the original, and the wallpaper is different.

Good to "see" you.

Doni said...

I've got catching up to do! The last couple of months have been a complete cyclone for me...and not the fun ride kind!