Saturday, December 15, 2012

Object of the Day: Matthews Bros Furniture

Click image to enlarge.



What I really like about today’s antique trade card is that actually pertains to the product being sold. Produced by Matthew’s Brothers Furniture of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the card features an illustration commissioned specifically for the firm. We are treated to a look at an elegant 1890s interior complete with gaslight. Just take a few minutes to really look around the room.

I enjoy these interior drawings because I find it comforting to see all of the things about which I write in use. This is a really great reminder that all of these things were really used by people. They were part of the home, they were part of life, they were touched and an integral part of each day. To me, that’s pretty neat.

The Matthews Brothers decided to let this interior speak for itself and showcase the sort of products and furnishings they were selling. There’s no overwrought ad copy on the back, and, I think it serves its purpose perfectly.




No comments: