Friday, December 14, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 212



Chapter 212 
Not Receiving 



I’m terribly sorry, Lady Lensdown,” Speaight said politely as Gertrude craned her neck to look past the butler and into the hallway of No. 65 Belgrave Square, “however, His Grace the Duke and Dr. Halifax are not receiving this evening.”

“I wouldn’t wish to intrude, except that I come with terribly urgent information, Speaight.” Lady Lensdown said meekly.

“I truly regret to tell you, Lady Lensdown.” Speaight shook his head. He repeated, “His Grace and Dr. Halifax are not receiving this evening.”

“I simply must speak to them, Speaight.” Gertrude pleaded.

“Might I give them a message for you, Your Ladyship?”

“No.” Gertrude shook her head. “They’ve no way to reach me and I can’t think when I’ll be able to come out alone again. I…” She sighed.

“What’s this, Speaight?” Lennie asked from behind the butler as she descended the stairs. She shuffled to the front door and smiled at Gertrude. “Have we a visitor?”

“Miss, Lady Lensdown has paid a call on His Grace and Dr. Halifax, however, the masters are not receiving this evening.”

“I see.” Lennie nodded. She looked gently at Lady Lensdown, “Perhaps I could tell my brother why you’ve visited?”

Lady Lensdown began to look hopeful. “Well, I could speak with you, if you please.”

“Of course,” Lennie nodded. “Speaight, I shall take Lady Lensdown to the Morning Room.”

“Miss,” Speaight said quietly. “His Grace and Dr. Halifax have given strict instructions not to allow entrance to anyone this evening.”

“I understand, Speaight.” Lennie smiled. “You’ve done very well in following your orders. I shall take all of the blame for this.”

Speaight snorted, and, then, biting his cheeks, nodded gravely.

“The Morning Room is just past the stairs.” Lennie gestured.

“Will you require anything else?” Speaight asked curtly.

“I don’t think so.” Lennie shook her head. “Thank you.”

“Charles will be ringing the dressing gong shortly.” Speaight added.

“I shall listen for it.” Lennie smiled as she ushered Lady Lensdown into the Morning Room.

When the door had closed behind the two women, Speaight let his frown fall to his chin. Taking a deep breath, he grumbled and made his way toward the door to the service stairs.

In the Morning Room, Lady Lensdown looked awkwardly and shyly at Lennie. “He’s very loyal, your Speaight.”

“I’m learning that my brother seems to inspire loyalty in everyone.” Lennie replied proudly. “The entire staff—now—is equally loyal to His Grace. Even Her Majesty has shown loyalty to the Duke. It’s really quite extraordinary.”

“It’s in that spirit of loyalty that I’ve come tonight, Lady Fallbridge.”

Lennie blushed. “Uh. I’m…not called…Fallbridge.”

“Oh, certainly,” Gertrude blushed as well. “I’m sorry…Lady Molliner.”

“I…uhh…just ‘Miss.’ Lennie, please.”

“As you wish.” Gertrude nodded, embarrassed. “I’m the Baroness Lensdown. Gertrude, if you will, Miss Molliner.”

They nodded awkwardly at one another.

Finally, Lennie spoke up. “I’m still rather getting accustomed to the name myself.”

“Molliner?”

“And, Lennie. I’ve had so many names…I…” She paused. “Isn’t this a rather peculiar introduction?” She giggled.

“Yet, a pleasant one.” Gertrude replied. “And, I am grateful to you for seeing me despite Speaight’s clear objections.”

“While we may not know one another, Lady Lensdown, my brother speaks so highly of you that I knew at once that you’d not press an issue had you not had a good reason.”

“That’s just it, Miss Molliner.” Lady Lensdown replied. “I don’t know if I’ve a good reason or not. It is simply that I have a strange feeling and I thought it best to share what little I know with His Grace.”

“For what have you this feeling, Lady Lensdown?”

“Today, while at Mivart’s at tea, I saw Lady Hamish…”

“She’s the daughter of the woman who was killed at Grange Molliner?”

“Yes. Constance, Lady Hamish. Her mother was Martha. I’d known her since I was a girl. She was older than I, of course, yet, our parents were social, and so, I saw her often. I long called her my friend though, now that I recall it, she was always rather cruel to me. Still, to see someone you’ve known all your life meet such an end…”

“Oh,” Lennie said softly. “His Grace told me that you were the one who found her. I’m so terribly sorry.”

“Thank you,” Gertrude shook her head.

“And, her daughter must be distraught. You say that you saw Lady Constance out today?”

“Yes.” Gertrude continued. “She was out having tea.”

“Strange, perhaps, for a young woman so recently bereaved.” Lennie replied.

“That is not the strangest part. Her companion was a woman. A familiar looking woman.”

“Who was it?”

“She looked very much like the woman who masqueraded as…well, as you, Miss Molliner.”

Lennie took a deep breath. “I’m sad to say that the woman in question is here in London. My brother and Dr. Halifax had the great misfortune of seeing her. That’s, in large part, the reason why Speaight is so adamant that no one gain admittance to the house tonight.”

“I understand.” Gertrude nodded.

“That is queer, though, is it not? What business could Orpha Polk—that’s what she’s called, really—have with the daughter of the Countess Hamish? The only thing they have in common is that they’ve both taken the same lover, as far as His Grace tells me…” Lennie trailed off, suddenly aware of what she’d just said. She blushed.

“I know of my husband’s many infidelities, Miss Molliner. You’ve not shocked me.” Gertrude replied dryly. “I’ve long known. And, I am aware of his associations with both of those women. They’re just two of many women, and, frankly…men as well.”

“I see.” Lennie said softly.

“You mustn’t look so sad for me, my dear.” Gertrude smiled.

Lennie nodded.

“I really am not as weak as rumored.” Gertrude continued.

“I’ve no doubt of that.” Lennie smiled.

“I never truly thought I’d have a husband, not to mention children. I married late in life. I knew why Victor married me. He made no secret of it. Yet, I didn’t mind because I had desires of my own. I wanted children and I knew he would give me beautiful children. He did. They’re my light. Even if they are a bit like their father. Children aren’t always like their parents. I had hoped…” She stopped. “But, enough of that.”

“You raise an interesting point, Lady Lensdown. It’s something about which I often wonder, especially of late.” She, too, paused for a moment. Finally, she said, “Tell me, what sort of woman is this Lady Constance? You’d said her mother was cruel. Is she as well?”

“No, not especially. She was easily influenced by her mother and would often, when in the presence of the Countess, affect her mother’s mannerisms. In her heart, however, Constance is a decent enough girl with a good heart. At her worst, she is confused and lonely, but, she’s not incapable of good works.”

“I can’t say the same of Orpha Polk. She’s most demented, I’m afraid.”

“That’s what I understand,” Gertrude replied. “I can’t imagine what would bring the two of them together. I tried to innocently suggest my shock to my husband who was also with me, but, not surprisingly, he ordered me not to speak of it, let alone think of it.”

“Where is your husband now?”

“At his club, or, so he says. I took the opportunity to come here and warn the Duke that that awful woman was here. I’m not sure if I’m relieved or saddened that he already knew. I’d hate to think of anyone doing harm to His Grace. For so long, he seemed so frail and frightened. I understood him--though we never really spoke to one another--because he was like me. Yet, when he returned from America with the doctor, he was…well, it was as if he was an entirely different man.”

“Very much so,” Lennie nodded, trying not to smile.

“And, still, I like him all the more now. He’s quite honest and charming. Almost like a boy in a man’s body.”

“I think he fancies himself to be rather canine as well.” Lennie confessed.

“I could see that.” Gertrude responded. “He is rather like a dog—I mean that kindly. It’s flattering, really. He’s got those bright eyes and that fresh eagerness. He’s glad of his surroundings and company no matter where or with whom he is. I’m not sure why I feel the need to protect him. Perhaps it’s because I’m a mother. Perhaps he reminds me of my own children. Or perhaps I wish my own children were more like him.”

“I would guess that’s why we’re all loyal to His Grace. I confess, I’ve only known him a short while, and I’m proud to call him my brother.”

“You should be, my dear.” Gertrude nodded. “Now, will you tell him what I’ve said?”

“I think you should tell him yourself.” Lennie replied. “He’s just up in the library with Robert. I’ve no doubt that they’d be pleased to see you even if to bring such a warning.”

“No, no.” Gertrude shook her head. “I must go. I’ve already been gone longer than I intended. I can’t risk being found out. You tell them, Miss Molliner. I do hope it’s nothing, but…I simply thought they should know.”

“Are you sure you won’t stay?”

“I wish that I could. Perhaps another time when we may have an afternoon to chat. Though I come with odd news, I…I am grateful that this allowed us an introduction.”

“I am, too, Lady Lensdown.” Lennie smiled. “I’ve lacked female company for so long. I should much enjoy more conversations with you.”

“As would I.” Gertrude said. She glanced at the clock which hung on the far wall of the Morning Room. “I must go.”

“I’ll show you out.” Lennie said.

Just then, they heard Speaight walking through the hall. Lennie opened the Morning Room door to see Speaight opening the tall front door.

“I should like to see His Grace,” A woman’s voice said. Lennie could not see who stood there, but she didn’t have to wait long to find out.

“I regret to inform you, Lady Hamish, but His Grace the Duke and Dr. Halifax are not receiving visitors this evening.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-211 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 213.



No comments: