Saturday, December 15, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 213




Chapter 213
Great Ladies 




Lennie, leaving Lady Lensdown in the morning room, hurried into the foyer and cleared her throat so that Speaight would turn around.

“Miss Molliner,” Speaight nodded. “Lady Hamish has expressed desire to see His Grace, however, as I’ve explained, the Duke and Dr. Halifax are not receiving this evening.”

“Can you help me?” Lady Constance pleaded, looking at Lennie past Speaight.

“Do come in.” Lennie nodded.

Speaight frowned as he opened to door wider for Lady Constance.

“Miss Molliner,” Speaight said briskly, “Charles will be…”

“The dressing gong. I know. Thank you, Speaight. Lady Constance will not be long.”

“Yes, Miss.” Speaight replied stiffly before retreating to the service stairs.

“I’m Lennie Molliner.” Lennie smiled.

“Yes.” Lady Contance answered ansently. “Lady Hamish. You may call me Constance.”

“I’d like to invite you in, Lady Constance,” Lennie said quickly, “however, we’re…”

“I know what you’re doing.” Lady Constance replied. “I must speak to His Grace.”

“I can tell His Grace that you’ve come and relay any message you wish.”

“You won’t let me see him.”

“No. I’m sorry.” Lennie answered.

“Very well, you can tell him that my daughter has been abducted.” Lady Constance snapped.

“Your…” Lennie gasped. “Oh…I’m…”

“Don’t look so shocked, Miss Molliner. Great ladies bear children out of wedlock all the time. If they didn’t, you’d not be…” She stopped. “I’m terribly sorry. I didn’t mean that.”

Lennie nodded. She took a deep breath. “I’ll be sure to tell my brother at once. Did you hope that His Grace might be of some assistance?”

“No.” Lady Constance shook her head. “I wanted to warn him.”

“About? Do you know of some greater threat to Colin?”

“Perhaps.”

“If you do, I must insist you tell me.”

“I cannot say that I know any specific danger to your nephew.” Lady Constance replied.

“I don’t understand what you want us to do.” Lennie said softly. “Do you know who has taken your child?”

“No.” Constance lied. She knew very well that Orpha Polk had taken her daughter, Fern. She also knew that, as Orpha said, she had “no choice” but to cooperate with the woman. She hated what she was about to do, but since Orpha had promised that as long as Constance did as she was told, Orpha wouldn’t harm her daughter and would also stop her campaign against the Duke…or so the vicious woman had claimed.

“I know only that the captor has also stolen other children than my Fern.” Constance continued.

“Whose?”

“The children of the Baron Lensdown.”

Suddenly, the morning room door flew open and Lady Lensdown came charging out.

Lady Constance looked shocked.

“What?” Gertrude demanded. “What is this? Where are my children?”

“I don’t know.” Lady Constance replied quickly.

Lennie looked helplessly between the two women. “I…I’d best alert the Duke.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-212 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Chapter 214.







No comments: