Monday, December 10, 2012

Treat of the Week: An Early Birthday Celebration



I’ve been quite busy these past weeks and have barely accepted the fact that it’s December, let alone close to my 39th birthday. Didn’t we just observe Thanksgiving? Well, whether I’m aware of it or not, we’re approaching the middle of December, and there’s nothing I can do about it.

I was rather surprised this Sunday, upon visiting my parents’ house, that we were celebrating my birthday. But, I couldn’t have been happier because it meant that my full year of longing for my birthday cake was about to come to a close and, then, begin anew.

Last year, you may recall, I raved about my birthday dinner, especially the cake, and I know I’ve mentioned repeatedly over the last year that it was, indeed, the best cake I’d ever eaten and that I wanted it every year on my birthday until the end of time.

But, I’m getting ahead of myself. We started the celebration with a savory, rich and thoroughly perfect Beef Bourguignon. I have to tell you, the beef was so tender and perfect that it almost melted on the fork. Joined with fresh broccoli and lovely herbed pasta, it was a meal that made me glad I’ve lived this long. I confirmed that by having two, ultra-large servings and some nice, crusty bread.






And, then…the cake. Oh, the cake. The cake about which I’ve been dreaming for the last twelve months. The cake to end all cakes. A creation of my mother’s this cake is a bit of springtime in winter. Layers flecked with strawberries are topped with a layer of wild strawberry filling. The entire thing is iced with Strawberry-infused Swiss-Meringue buttercream, and amidst the piped adornments, a fleur-de-lis of thick, soft, creamy chocolate ganache is nestled. 






Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh…

But, that’s not all. My mother made matching cupcakes so that I could have one on my actual birthday—the 12th. AND…she made her own chocolate truffles—coated with, respectively, chocolate sprinkles (hundreds and thousands), cocoa and powdered sugar. 


I couldn’t have been happier, and, frankly, with a start like this, my thirty-ninth year ought to be pretty darn good.



28 comments:

Shawn said...

What a lovely meal!! Looks absolutely delicious and the cake is a masterpiece! Good for you and Happy Birthday!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Shawn!

Matt said...

Oh WOW! If I put an order in for my 39th can I have one too. That gives your mom a few year notice.

Joseph Crisalli said...

No. My cake. Even versions made three or four years in the future are mine.

Angelo said...

Awesome!! Happy early birthday history dude.

Joseph Crisalli said...

History dude. I'll add that to my business cards.

Carolyn said...

I think this is an amazing dinner. I don't think I could find a cake that beautiful in any bakery.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I have a feeling that you couldn't find one in a bakery either.

Sam P said...

Now I'M dreaming of that cake.

Joseph Crisalli said...

See, it's nice to have a hobby.

Book Gurl said...

From top to bottom, it's so impressive! I couldn't keep my hands off the truffles if I had them.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I know that I can't.

Kathy said...

That dinner would make my birthday happy!

Joseph Crisalli said...

It's a safe bet.

April said...

I'm so jealous!

Gene said...

I'm glad you had such a special meal.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Gene.

Mark said...

Too lovely. That's the way to do it!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm a very good boy.

Barb said...

You got your cake!!! And a great dinner too!! Yea!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hooray for me.

Doug said...

A beautiful job!

Joseph Crisalli said...

My mom is very talented.

Beth Ann said...

It all looks so good! !

Bonnie said...

Happy birthday to you.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you Bonnie!

Karen said...

it looks absolutely delicious! Maybe next year you'll get double the cake for the big 4-0. I'd love to see a recipe or two.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Karen. You know, i should post recipes more often.