Monday, December 10, 2012

Living the Belle Epoque: Bertie's Vacation




Recently, I spent some time away from home, and, unfortunately, Bertie couldn’t come with me. However, he did get to spend several days with my mother, his “grandma” where he was the center of attention and where he quickly became—as he is here with me—King of the Castle.

Here’s Bertie’s account of our time apart. 



I go to my grandma and grandpa’s house all the time. To get there, I get to go for a ride in the car. I’m always excited to go and I bark a lot at my daddy so that he knows I want to go. When we get there, I go sit in the sunlight and then we get to eat a lot. We eat all sorts of good things that I don’t get to eat at home since daddy is always sitting in his chair tapping on that stupid flat thing that he says makes words. I guess that makes him too lazy to make wonderful things to eat like grandma does.

The other day we went to Grandma and Grandpa’s. I was so happy because it seemed like we had just been there. Sometimes when we go, we stay overnight and then we get to have breakfast the next day. Sometimes Daddy makes me go home the same night—that’s usually. I don’t like that since it’s late and dark and I’m tired. But, we got to stay and I was happy. We got up very, very early and had muffins to eat. It was still dark outside! Then, Daddy and Grandpa put on their coats and carried bags to the car. It seemed strange to me, so I barked. Daddy looked worried and he kept telling me I was going to be a good boy and have lots of fun.

Sometimes, Daddy and Grandpa go out on Sundays and leave me to play with Grandma for a little while. I don’t know where they go, but they usually come back with shopping bags with food or other things. I don’t mind because I get to stay with Grandma and she talks to me and we play. They always come right back.

This time, they didn’t. I don’t know where they went. Grandma said they went on an airplane. But, that seems silly since the Costco is nearby, and, I think, that’s where they go when they go places. I guess they got lost. They didn’t come back for a long time. Maybe there was a sale. 


Thankfully, Grandma knows what a doggy likes. She made sure I was very comfortable. She even let me watch my shows. I like to watch “Kathie Lee and Hoda.” So, Grandma made sure that it was on for me every day. I got to watch “Dragnet” and “Hazel” and “Father Knows Best” and “Leave it to Beaver” and “The Partridge Family” and everything. I didn’t get to miss my daddy too much since I was so comfortable and things seemed to be the same as they are at home—only with better food. 


I got to eat lovely things when I was at Grandma’s house. Daddy gives me food, too, of course. But, Grandma’s food is tastier.

But, it wasn’t all sitcoms and supper. No. Since I was a guest, I knew I had to help out around the house. I helped Grandma vacuum and clean. I helped do the laundry by sitting on my green towel which I think looks very nice on Grandma’s pretty couch. 



Most of all, I helped in the kitchen. Grandma needs me to supervise when she’s making dinner. I don’t know how she gets by without me. Some people think that I do it in case anything falls on the floor that I can eat, but I’m just being thoughtful. Still, sometimes Grandma gives me little nibbles of what she’s making. If she wants to do that, I won’t complain. 


I’m not really sure how long Daddy and Grandpa were at Costco, but I got to sleep at Grandma’s house many times. I even let her sleep on her own side of the bed. Mostly. 


And, then, they came back and I went home and everything was the same as it always is.

But, I learned something when I stayed with Grandma. I learned that it’s important to be comfortable and that even when things are different, you can have a good time and be yourself. Not every doggy or kitty cat is as lucky as I am. I have two houses where I can go and be at home. I get to go for rides in the car and I get lots of good things to eat. But, some others like me don’t. If you want to have a friend like me, you should. If you can give a home to a doggy or kitty cat or some other kind of pet, you can search for shelters in your area. All it takes is one visit and you’re sure to find a friend for life. 


6 comments:

Shawn said...

What a sweet, good and handsome boy! Bertie is the model house guest!

Joseph Crisalli said...

A slightly bossy, kind of stubborn, but very gentle and cute model house guest.

Matt said...

He is adorable.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm sure he knows it, too.

Angelo said...

What a great dog.

Joseph Crisalli said...

He has many distant cousins who would like a good home.