Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 211


Chapter 211
Family Bonds 


Thank you for agreeing to see me,” Orpha smiled at Lady Constance. “I know it must be difficult for you, in this, your time of mourning.”

Lady Constance scowled. “Your letter sounded so…plaintiff and urgent. I still wonder why I’m here. I suppose I was curious. What should I call you, Miss? You’re not really Ellen Barrett.”

“My name is Orpha Polk.”

“Why did you send for me, Miss Polk?” Lady Constance asked softly.

“I’ve been very busy of late.” The former Ellen Barrett sighed.

“Being resurrected can be quite taxing, I’ve heard.” Lady Constance sniffed.

“Yes.” Orpha smiled. “As can committing murder.”

“So I understand,” Lady Constance nodded.

“I don’t wish to bore you, Lady Constance. So, I shall try to be as brief as possible. Since the Duke of Fallbridge has been reunited with his true half-sister and since my little scheme to deceive him failed, I’ve had some time to think about my behavior of the last few years.”

“And?”

“I wasn’t as clever as I thought.”

“Few of us are.” Lady Constance replied. “How does this concern me?”

“I’ve always been looking for comfort.” Orpha continued. “The life of a girl in a workhouse lacks a certain amount of comfort.”

“I can imagine.”

“Having no family is also tiresome.”

“Family is often over-rated.” Lady Constance shrugged.

“That rather depends on the family, doesn’t it?” Orpha smiled. “During my childhood, I was aware that I had a brother. But, we’d been taken from each other. I longed for him. I…”

“You decided that if you were to have a brother, it ought to be a wealthy one? So, you set your eyes on the ‘mad” Duke.”

“Not exactly.” Orpha shook her head. “I only decided that when the opportunity presented itself. When the true Ellen Barrett learned of her parentage, I seized the opportunity. It seemed the only way to reach my ultimate dream.”

“Which was? Wealth? Position? Power?”

“Somewhat. I’d not turn my nose up at any of those things. However, they were just a path to realizing my true ambition.”

“Yes?”

“Being reunited with my family.”

“You’ve just said you have no family. That you’d been taken from them.”

“Near me.” Orpha said firmly.

“Again, Miss Polk, what has any of this to do with me?”

“I know you murdered your mother, the Countess Hamish.” Orpha smiled.

“You know nothing of the sort.”

“Come now, Lady Constance, have you forgotten to whom you’re speaking? I was there! I have ties to the whole sordid series of events. I set them in motion, in fact. You should thank me. Were it not for the stage which I set for you, you’d not have had a chance to realize one of your own dreams.”

“Why would I kill my own mother?” Lady Constance growled. “Doing so essentially separates me from my wealth. The entail insists that my rightful inheritance be given to the next male heir. My mother’s death only hurts me.”

“And, that’s your excuse. That’s your claim to innocence. But, it’s not the Hamish wealth which motivates you. We both know that you’re hardly destitute. You’ve a handsome trust from your late father. You will live in luxury until your end.”

Lady Constance raised her eyebrows.

“There was something much more important which motivated you that night. As I said, I dressed the stage. Finlay and I had already left a trail of blood. You saw your chance to rid yourself of that vicious burden, your mother. Furthermore, you had a chance to upset Lady Gertrude. That was just an extra bit of luck, but one, I’m sure you enjoyed as you saw her discover the mutilated corpse of her old friend.”

“Keep your voice down.” Lady Constance hissed.

“Am I mistaken?”

Lady Constance remained silent.

“Even more so important was the next phase of your scheme. You wanted the Baron Lensdown to take the blame for the murder. However, that didn’t quite work out for you. Did it?”

“Is he in prison?”

“No.” Orpha shook her head.

“Then, obviously not.”

“Dear Lady Constance, you needn’t blush…”

“I’m not.” Constance snapped.

“I know of your association with the Baron. I know also how foul he can be.”

“I’m sure you do.”

“He’s quite treacherous. How did he manage to wriggle his way out of your demand?”

“He made his position clear to me.” Lady Constance replied.

“He threatened you, then?” Orpha nodded. “He’s quite good at it. I know how dangerous he can be. Sometimes I loved him for it. Other times, I tried to think of anything else. For a time, I’d actually begun to forget who I really was. I’d begun to feel that I really was Ellen Barrett, and that poor, poor, lunatic man—Roger—was my family. You know, of course, what the baron did to Roger.”

“I know.” Lady Constance nodded. “I know of all of his past associations. Including you and the Scotch footman.”

“I know of them, too.” Orpha winked. “I know also of your daughter. I believe you call her Fern.”

“What do you know of it?” Lady Constance hissed.

“Much.” Orpha sighed. “More than I ever wished to. You see, I saw the baron earlier. He told me that you claim Fern is his child. Is she?”

“Of course.” Lady Constance narrowed her eyes. “So, you continue your association with the blackguard.”

“To my own ends,” Orpha shook her head. “I shall explain in a moment. My dear, I’m really only trying to be your friend. I know what you’ve endured better than anyone could ever understand it. You wanted a name for your child. But, your mother, the Countess, just wanted to be rid of her, I presume. A family embarrassment. Wasn’t it her wish to see the Duke of Fallbridge adopt the girl?”

“Yes.” Constance replied angrily. “I couldn’t have that. I…”

“So, you rid yourself of the problem.” Orpha winked again. “I would, too.”

Lady Constance shook her head. “What do you want of me?”

“An ear to listen. A shoulder upon which to lean. Constance, we’ve much to offer one another. We’ve survived so many of the same things.”

“Just because we shared a lover once…”

“The father of our children.” Orpha whispered.

“Our…”

“I, too, have a child. A boy. Lensdown is his father. My boy is not as…he’s not as pretty as your Fern.”

“Where is he?”

“In a special place where he can be cared for.”

“Cared for? Is he ill?”

“In a manner of speaking.”

“What ails him?”

“Much.” Orpha answered. “He’s a monster. It was to be expected.”

“Why?”

“The child of a brother and sister is often a monster.” Orpha replied.

“I…I don’t understand.” Lady Constance pushed away from the table.

“Victor Geddes…the man who became the Baron Lensdown, the man who turned Roger Barrett into a madman, the man who has tortured both of us and countless others—he is my brother. He was born Victor Polk. Geddes was the name of the family who took him in.”

“Your brother?”

“Yes.”

“How long have you known this?”

“I’ve always known.” Orpha smiled. “I’ve known since the day we were separated. I, sent to one workhouse, he another. I came out to be what I am. And, he, the same. We’re both frauds in one way or another.”

“And, yet, you…you…”

“Oh, yes.” Orpha nodded.

“Did he know? Does he know that…that you’re his sister?”

“No. Though I don’t think it would have stopped him.”

“How? How could you have…”

Orpha sighed. “I suppose I’m just a bit mad myself. You can use that to your advantage, Lady Constance. You’re not mad. You were trapped. You did what was needed to free yourself and your little Fern. That’s strength, some would say, but not madness.”

“You are. You are mad.” Lady Constance shook her head.

“Well, sometimes it serves me well.” Orpha nodded. “It can do the same for you, too.”

“How? Why?”

“For our children. Don’t think me a failure, Lady Constance. Yes, one scheme of mine failed. I should have known the Duke was too well-protected for it to work. I’ve already set another in motion with two others. They think I’m doing it help them, too, but it’s only meant as a distraction. Only you know of my true ambition. To be a mother—even if only to a monster.”

“I pity you.” Lady Constance gasped.

“Please don’t.” Orpha smiled. “Join me. Join me, Lady Constance. Help me destroy Victor Geddes, my brother.”

“I can’t.” Lady Constance shook her head.

“Why not?” Orpha frowned. “I know you loathe him, too.”

“You said you’ve another scheme involving the Duke of Fallbridge. I want no harm to come to him or his family. I like them so. I truly do.”

“Everyone does.” Orpha shrugged. “I can’t see why. But, if I can assure you that I’ll spare them from any harm, will you join me?”

“But…”

“They were only being used as tools anyway.” Orpha continued.

“Why should I believe you?” Lady Constance asked.

“Because you have no choice.” Orpha smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-20 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 212.



6 comments:

Carolyn said...

WHAT?!?! She slept with her brother?! How Greek Tragedy!!! Good stuff!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

It just seems like something they'd do.

Matt said...

Ugh! Gross. But, interesting. I didn't see that coming. Makes me hate them both all that much more.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm glad!

Dashwood said...

What What???

So, now there's a monster child in London to add to the monster child of the Elegant Ogress in New Orleans!!!!

I LOVE IT!!

Wanna see some monster children joining forces in bad deeds. Like a transatlantic "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof".

Joseph Crisalli said...

Good idea.