Monday, May 2, 2011

Treat of the Week: A Blackberry Jammy Cake

Who doesn’t like jam? One of my favorites is blackberry jam. It’s the perfect amount sweetness and natural fruit flavor and, actually, is a wonderful accompaniment to both sweets and savories. So, then, combining blackberry jam with a spice pound cake is a glorious marriage.


And, that’s what we have here. From my mother’s collection of recipes, we have this joyous Jammy Cake. A light, moist spice pound cake has been baked with a swirl of blackberry jam. Already beautiful from its cathedral-inspired Bundt pan, the cake is further adorned with a wonderful glaze and colored sugar crystals.

This glittering confection is a treat from the inside out. The surprise layer of blackberry jam is enough to brighten even the cloudiest day.  My mother's recipe makes enough batter to also make two miniature Jammy Cakes.  These tasty twins are just as delicious as their full-sized counterpart.  You can use your favorite spice cake recipe or do an online search to find your own beautiful marriage of jam and spice. 



3 comments:

Book Gurl said...

Yummy Jammy Cake. I love that kind of cake. I always get such inspiration from your mom's cooking. Too bad I'm not as talented. I should give it a try.

Gene said...

Fantastic. I love the loook of the sugar!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you very much, Book Gurl and Gene.