Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 235

Well, then,” Ulrika grinned as Edward Cage walked in defeat back to where she, Cecil and Mr. Punch stood. “You have the time to listen to me, it seems.”


“Fine, Ulrika,” Edward sighed as he glanced over his shoulder. The carriage was far out of sight.

“Shall we go inside? I’ve grown weary of carrying this little monster.” She nodded at the bundle in her arms.

“Not in my house.” Edward shook his head. “I don’t want to upset my wife. I’d promised her that I’d return with Holt. No doubt she’s watching from her bedroom window, beside herself, wondering how I could have had our boy so close and lost him again.”

“Chin up, Edward.” Ulrika smiled. “We’ll work something out.”

“I don’t see how this concerns you, Ulrika.” Cecil spat.

“Don’t you?” Ulrika laughed. “You’ll soon see.” She pointed her chin toward Dr. Biamenti’s house up the street. “Shall we retire to your abode, Mr. Halifax?”

“I don’t want you in me house.” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“And, I don’t want to continue to hold this drooling, little beast.” Ulrika growled.

“We’ll go.” Edward said flatly.

Cecil shrugged. “Edward, there’s nothing more to say. The boy is gone. Let him go. If you love him, let him be raised by the people who can give him the life he deserves.”

“Don’t you think I love the boy?” Edward shouted.

“I don’t think you love anyone.” Mr. Punch answered. “I think you love your money and your wax statues and your fame. You don’t love anything what’s got breath in its chest nor feelin’s in its heart.”

“Ah, the wisdom of the lunatic duke.” Edward Cage mumbled. “You’ll forgive me if I don’t give a damn what you think.”

“Are we going or not?” Ulrika whined. “My arms are tired.”

“I won’t have you in me house.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “You’re tainted. I don’t want your poison gettin’ on me rugs.”

“By rights, Your Grace, I shouldn’t be able to hear you—what with you being dead and all, really.” Ulrika chuckled. “Nevertheless, I’ll respect your wishes…”

“You ain’t got no choice, you titian witch,” Mr. Punch frowned.

“…I’ll respect your wishes,” Ulrika continued loudly. “And, I’ll simply state my own. I would like to suggest a special arrangement. I’ll return your diamond and offer you this child in exchange for the boy that Mr. Cage so badly yearns for.”

“Why would I want Iolanthe’s broken boy?” Mr. Punch laughed.

“For the very reason that he’s broken—just as you are.” Ulrika smirked. “You and your physician companion can raise him to be a healthy, functioning man. Make him your heir. Go off on your own, start a new existence. Change your names and live in the peace and freedom that you so desire.”

“There’s nothin’ that’s gonna save that poor soul.” Mr. Punch scowled. “Poor little thing.”

“The same could be said for you.” Ulrika grimaced.

“So, you’re offering His Grace the return of his own property and a deformed child in exchange for his own flesh and blood?” Cecil shook his head. “How kind of you.” He added sarcastically.

“There’s more.” Ulrika winked. “I’ll keep my silence about his theatrically-staged false death. Really, it’s right out of English theater—or Italian opera. We’ll let Iolanthe take the blame and suffer for his murder.”

“Your dear friend,” Mr. Punch grunted.

“Only when convenient.” Ulrika winced, shifting the baby in her arms. “It’s no longer convenient. Seeing her imprisoned would be more beneficial. Besides, I’m thinking only of you. The law frowns on fraud. You could be severely punished for this charade as well as for kidnapping Edward’s son. I’ll keep my silence and will guarantee that Edward keeps his.”

“If my son is returned to me, I’ll be silent.” Edward nodded.

“What’s in it for you?” Mr. Punch asked. “Seeing Iolanthe rot in prison ain’t enough for you to give up all what you stole from me already.”

“But, that diamond is just the beginning of your vast fortune, isn’t it?” Ulrika smiled. “You see, I have in my possession a document that entitles me all of the worldly goods of Barbara, Lady Fallbridge, upon the event of the deaths of herself and her heirs. I’ll keep up the pretense that you’re dead. Barbara is missing, presumed dead. With you gone, I’ll inherit the bulk of your liquid estate. You’ll still keep your land and can live quite comfortable on it. I think I’d be making a good investment.”

Mr. Punch laughed hysterically. “I’ll take me chances, I will. I’ll keep Colin and my fortune. You keep the diamond and the little beast what you carry in your arms and Iolanthe be damned. I don’t care what falls upon her. Nor upon you, Ulrika. Nor even on Edward Cage.”

“Well said, I say,” Cecil nodded.

“You’ve made a terrible mistake.” Ulrika sighed. She looked Cecil. “I hope you got a good look at your wife, Mr. Halifax. The image of her in that carriage is the last you’ll ever see of her.”

At that very moment, Robert slowed the carriage as he spotted a familiar face near the French Market.

“Marjani!” Robert shouted.

Marjani’s eyes brightened as she saw Robert atop the carriage.

“Get in!” He shouted, stopping the carriage long enough for Marjani to climb inside.

Marjani looked at Adrienne and little Colin. “Somethin’s not right. Where’s Punch and Dr. Halifax?”

“We had to leave them. Punch is with Cecil. Ulrika and Edward Cage stopped us. Robert very bravely took the reins.” Adrienne explained, cuddling the child which began to cry. For a moment, she thought of her own son—waiting for her at their borrowed house.

“It was brave.” Marjani nodded. “But, it ain’t gonna work out the way you hope.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-234? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: