Saturday, April 2, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 211

Robert laughed and looked helplessly at Marjani.


"I didn’t mean for to shock you, Doctor.” Marjani said softly. 

“Well,” Robert smiled. “You’re correct. They wouldn’t search for us if we were dead, but, we’re very much alive and, frankly, have every intention of staying that way.”

“Marjani,” Mr. Punch grinned. “I think I know what you’re gonna say, I do.”

“I think you do.” Marjani nodded.

“This isn’t some sort of Shakespearean scheme, is it?” Robert asked. “You’re not looking to play Friar Lawrence to our Romeo and…well, Romeo?”

“Honey, I don’t know what that means.” Marjani chuckled, “I ain’t lookin’ to fry nobody. But, I’m just suggestin’ that if you were dead, folk would leave you alone.”

Robert sat down on the bed next to Mr. Punch and sighed. “Very well, explain yourself.”

“Well, Sir, I’m thinkin’ that if Iolanthe were to kill ya, everyone would go on about their business.”

“We’ve concluded that,” Robert nodded.

“So, why not let folk think you three were killed?” Marjani asked.

“Three?” Mr. Punch raised his eyebrows, “Colin, too?”

“Yes, Mr. Punch.” Marjani nodded.

“And, just how would we accomplish that?” Robert asked.

“Remember your plan for the masquerade ball? Mr. Punch and Missus Adrienne staged a little drama. Well, why not have Missus Adrienne dress as Iolanthe again? We could make it seem like ‘Iolanthe,’ in her rage, done killed the two of you and the baby. Then, you could slip away with Colin and be unnoticed.”

“Wouldn’t that cause complications for His Grace?” Robert asked. “When word got out that he’d been killed, that would jeopardize his inheritance and his title.”

“The news would not get back to England before you did.” Marjani said. “And, even if it did, ya’ll could send letters in advance, tellin’ whoever needs to know these things that there’s nothin’ to worry ‘bout and that you’re on your way home.”

Robert narrowed his eyes. “Perhaps I’ve gone utterly mad, but I think it’s rather a good idea.”

“We could do it in public—where folk could witness it. Not only would it be a kind of distraction to allow ya’ll to escape, but it would cast the hand of guilt on Iolanthe who so rightly deserves it.” Marjani smiled.

“Wouldn’t a doctor need to be employed to examine our bodies once we’d ‘died’?” Robert asked.

“Not necessarily.” Mr. Punch answered. “Not if it happened all too fast. Cecil could quick-like make arrangements.”

“Cecil would never go for this.” Robert shook his head.

“Don’t be so sure.” Mr. Punch grinned.

“I could go tell Mr. and Mrs. Halifax ‘bout our plan. I know Meridian would help, too.” Marjani said.

“Before you do that,” Robert sighed, “we’d best work out all the details.”

“So, you’ll do it, Chum?” Mr. Punch asked.

Robert frowned. “Yes.” He chuckled to himself. “I’ll do it.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-210? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

This sounds like a triple play version of the last scene in Tosca. Pretty touchy stuff. I hope that the outcome is better than Cavaradossi received.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hmmmm...you know, you're right. As a fan of Tosca, I suspect that slipped into my subconscious. : )