Friday, April 1, 2011

Goal for the Day: Talk to the Animals

Our pets live in an unfair world. They understand our language far better than we can translate theirs. While we’re never going to be able to fully understand what our pets are saying to us, we can pay attention to what they’re trying to communicate.


For example, this morning, as I’m writing, Bertie has come into my study half a dozen times and butted me with his head. He would walk to the armchair in the corner and snort at me. I asked him, “Do you want to sit with me?” He barked his response. So, I unplugged the laptop and settled into the chair next to him. Now, he’s contentedly asleep next to me, kicking me every once in awhile to let me know he wants his ears scratched. It’s these non-verbal ways of communication on which Bertie relies, and it’s up to me to decipher them.

Though you may feel a little silly at first, take some time to “talk” with your pets. Actually speaking to them helps to improve their vocabulary and to train them. Meanwhile, they can train you by teaching you their subtle cues. You’ll find that the more you and your pet can “talk,” the happier you’ll both be.

No comments: