The contracting firm, Rutelli & Marchi handled the construction of the building. Rutelli and Marchi developed a host of ingenious ways to safely construct the building’s inner-structure and to install the myriad exterior and interior ornaments such as monumental columns and stonework.
“Il Massimo” was due to be renovated in 1974. The plan was to quickly update the theater’s safety features and to restore the beauty of the original 1874 plan. Sadly, due to politics and financial concerns, the opera house remained closed for twenty-three years. Finally, it reopened in 1997 to much fanfare.