Friday, December 17, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 124

Naasir didn’t make a sound as Robert carefully undressed him, trying to separate the charred clothing from the man’s burnt skin. Naasir must have been in terrible agony, but he did not flinch, nor utter a word.


Behind Robert, Marjani created a salve from herbs and oils over which she mumbled prayers—some of which were familiar to Robert, some of which were foreign and seemed to be in a language he could not recognize.

“Now, then, Naasir,” Robert whispered softly to the man who opened his eyes slightly and looked up pleadingly. “We’re going to help you.”

Naasir closed his eyes and let out a raspy breath.

“I have something here,” Robert said, reaching for his bag, “which will help you with your pain. I’m going to need you to open your mouth a bit. Can you do that for me?” Robert looked sympathetically at the man’s burnt and disfigured face.

Naasir did not open his mouth.

“It will help you,” Robert said. “It will make you sleep, and when you awake, the pain will be lessened.”

Naasir still did not open his mouth.

“Please, Naasir.” Robert said. “I don’t want you to suffer.”

“He’s afraid, Doctor,” Marjani whispered from behind Robert.

Robert turned to looked quizzically at Marjani.

“Can you make him understand that this will alleviate his pain?”

“It’s not the medicine he’s scared of,” Marjani shook her head.

“I don’t understand.”

“He’s scared that we angered the spirits—them forces that direct our fates. His destiny, he done tol’ me a dozen times, was to be burned to save The Great Man of the Rocks. He didn’t fulfill his destiny.”

“But, he was burned. That doesn’t make sense. We make our own destinies.”

“Do we?” Marjani smiled softly at Robert. “Listen, Honey, this man was gonna give up his spirit as a sacrifice. He didn’t do it. Now, he’s scared.”

“We had to save him.” Robert whispered. “We couldn’t just let him be murdered.”

“I’m not sayin’ you did wrong,” Marjani responded gently, “I’m jus’ tellin’ you what he feels.” Marjani patted her heart, “I know what he feels. I can hear him in my heart.”

“You must help me get through to him. Make him understand that we’ll help him.”

“I don’t know that he wants to be helped, Doctor.” Marjani sighed.

Robert grunted.

“Let me put some of this on him,” She lifted the bowl of salve. “I’ll talk with him for a spell. Why don’t you go an’ see ‘bout Mr. and Mrs. Halifax?”

“I’ll return in about ten minutes,” Robert nodded.

Robert walked into the main house, rubbing his neck with each step. He muttered to himself as he walked and was reminded of Mr. Punch and his nonstop chatter. “Why haven’t you returned to me yet?” Robert mumbled.

Entering the parlor, he squinted as he saw Cecil and Adrienne sitting with Nellie. He’d forgotten that Nellie was there. Her presence hadn’t registered with him when they’d come back with Naasir. Something about the woman, now that he’d noticed her, made him feel uneasy.

“Pardon me,” Robert said as he came into the room.

“How’s Naasir?” Cecil asked.

“Not well, I’m afraid.” Robert shook his head. “He’s terribly injured and he’s refusing any assistance. He won’t take anything to ease his suffering. I’ve left Marjani with him for a few minutes. At least she can put some poultice on his burns and, perhaps, talk to him—let him know that he doesn’t have to suffer.”

“I think it’s just terrible what Iolanthe done to him,” Nellie said. “But, I’m not surprised. I was just telling Adrienne and Mr. Halifax what sort of madness Iolanthe’s been about lately. I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced, Sir. My name is Nellie.”

Robert nodded. “I’m Robert Halifax.”

“My brother.” Cecil added.

“You’re a physician?” Nellie asked.

“I am.” Robert said plainly. He looked around the room, “I don’t suppose that…well, you’d have told me if Julian…”

“He’s not returned.” Adrienne interrupted, looking worried.

“I see.” Robert nodded slowly. “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to step outside for a moment and take some air. It’s quite stuffy…” Robert’s words trailed off as he turned away.

“It was nice meeting you,” Nellie said quickly. “Even in these sad circumstances.”

“Yes,” Robert answered without turning around. “Thank you.”

When Robert had left the room, Nellie sighed. “Poor man. He’s worried about the servant…what’s his name?”

“Naasir.” Adrienne nodded. “Yes, he is. However, he’s also worried about someone else.”

“This Julian he mentioned?” Nellie asked. “Is he with the Mr. Punch you were talking about earlier?”

“No.” Cecil said. “Well, yes.” He shook his head. “Yes, I suppose they’re always together. They’re the same person. In a manner of speaking.”

Nellie looked confused.

“Let’s simply say that ‘Mr. Punch’ is an affectionate name that we have for His Lordship, Julian.” Cecil said quickly.

“Oh.” Nellie nodded. “Tell me, Mr. Halifax, is your brother married?”

“No.” Cecil chuckled.

Adrienne smiled.

“Did I say something amusing?” Nellie asked.

“No, Nellie.” Adrienne patted her friend’s hand. “But, if you’re looking for a husband, Robert wouldn’t be a good match for you.”

“Who said I was looking for a husband?” Nellie blinked her eyes quickly. “I was just asking a question. I see how happy you two are, I just thought…”

“You must be exhausted,” Adrienne interrupted. “Yet, we have much to discuss. You’ll stay here tonight. I’ll have Meridian make a room ready for you.”

“I couldn’t.” Nellie said, standing up. “If Miss Iolanthe finds me missing, she’ll kill me!”

“You’ve come here so that we can help you.” Adrienne said. “Having you return to that place will not aid in your freedom.”

“No, no…” Nellie shook her head violently. “I can’t. I have to go back!”

Meanwhile, Mr. Punch stood shaking in Iolanthe Evangeline’s bedroom. At his feet, lay the limp body of the tragically homely Mala.

“Oh, oh, oh,” Mr. Punch wrung his hands together as he peered over Mala’s body waiting for her to breathe. He looked to the floor next to Mala and saw the oil lamp with which he’d struck the woman when she snuck up behind him and grabbed him by the waist as he tried to carry the Duchess from the room.

His Punch-like instincts had kicked in. When he felt her hands on him, he gently lowered Her Grace back to the bed and quickly grabbed the first thing he could find to hit whoever was touching him.

“Oh, ugly girl,” Mr. Punch mumbled frantically. “Do get up, would ya? Breathe or somethin’. Didn’t mean to hurt ya. But, ya can’t go sneakin’ up on folk. Come on, little hobgoblin. Open yer eyes!”

“Julian,” the Duchess moaned from the bed.

“Wait a tick, Duchess.” Mr. Punch spat. “I’ll get ya out of here. But, I gotta see somethin’ first.”

Mr. Punch knelt down and patted Mala’s arm. “Come on, then, little hideous thing. Come on, open yer eyes for Mr. Punch. Can’t go grabbin’ at a person. You know you’re gonna get hit when you do that. Didn’t want to hit you.” Mr. Punch chattered. “Come on. Don’t be dead.”

Mr. Punch heard the door to the next room open and the sound of quick footsteps.

“What to do?” Mr. Punch stood quickly.



Did you miss Chapters 1-123? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I love Mr Punch's dialogue today.Now that he has a very active conscience he feels bad for having knocked out Mala, but in his honesty he still talks about her as he sees her. So he stays true to himself. Well done!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy. Mr. Punch has learned to have a conscience, but he hasn't quite mastered the art of having an inner filter. : )